Insomniac Games' Character TDs are responsible for creating character setups, including the rigging of various heroes, enemies, weapons, vehicles and props, and support Animators and other developers with scripts and tools. This talented CFX Specialist will set up and simulate anatomy, cloth, and hair for both offline and real - time applications , utiliz e shot-specific final ing techniques, and contribut e to the design, implementation, and maintenance of t he simulation and CFX pipeline. Read on for more details, as we are looking for a creative Character TD!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Creates high quality simulation setups using a combination of offline and realtime solutions
• Pioneers creative runtime solutions for integration of offline simulation techniques and realtime dynamics
• Creates high quality animation rigs, systems, setups, and workflows to feed CFX Assets
• Sets up technical animation/simulation setups for things such as hair and cloth for real-time in-engine or for animation within Maya.
• Writes and maintains scripts using Python and PyMel. General scripting duties include developing systems and workflows for animating, rigging, and simulating characters, expediting the sim and shot setup process, and writing scripts to aid the art team when required
• Possesses a comprehensive understanding of animation techniques for the purpose of simulation or character finaling
• Creates DCC tools and improves the simulation pipeline between the game engine and DCC
• Contributes to the design and improvement of the character set-up process
• Acts as an intermediary between the animation and technical teams to elucidate the workflows, needs, and terminologies of each team
• Understands (and assists when needed) the process of creating cinematics including set construction, camera setup, character animation, cloth simulation, character finaling, and ensuring that scenes run properly on the real-time game engine
• Creates simple Entity animations for the purpose of testing new and existing systems, and animates cameras and simple Entities for gameplay and cinematics as necessary
• Solid understanding of UI design using QT and Python
• Provides feedback and guidance to other members of the team
• Other duties may be assigned
• Five to seven plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience should be in character setup, python scripting and all technical aspects of Maya animation. A strong understanding of animation principals is also required
• Three to Five years of experience in character setup, simulation setup, MEL, Python, and PyMel scripting and a comprehensive understanding of all technical aspects of Maya animation
• Expert-level knowledge of Simulation Setup in one or all of the key offline simulation systems including Houdini/Vellum, nCloth, ZivaVFX, and Carbon
• Strong knowledge of shot-finaling techniques
• Strong knowledge of physical anatomy and ability to quickly achieve realistic results for skin and muscle deformations
• Working knowledge/experience of runtime simulation systems (Havok/UE4 Cloth/PhysX)
• Experience interfacing with offline processing/renderfarm systems to run simulations
• Strong knowledge of Maya and a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong working knowledge of MEL, Python, and PyMel scripting as it applies to cfx, character setup and animation
• Basic knowledge of DOS
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rvp0jj-3-238-90-95-42 in your application.