San Diego, CA
PlayStation Studios Visual Arts primarily located on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to PlayStation Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry's best minds and companies. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
We are looking for an Animation Supervisor who is highly proficient in all aspects of high-quality animation supervision in the video game industry. You are an organized and diligent leader, strategic, and thoughtful in all interactions with the internal and external teams and partners, and will work in collaboration with Studio Management and Team Members across multiple disciplines.
If you're a dedicated, focused, and self-motivated person looking to supervise a team of animators on aesthetic quality of performance animation, we want to speak to you! Do you ensure the highest level of quality for all deliveries, work within all styles of animation including full hand key and motion capture, and guide tool-sets and workflows for projects, ensuring all technical guidelines and requirements are met for efficient deliveries? Then we want you to join our team and work with us on: pre-visualization, scene assembly, virtual camera, motion editing, motion capture animation pipeline, keyframe animation, AAA facial solving, cinematic animation, in-game/navigation motions, motion matching and technical animation workflows.
• Oversee the quality of work assigned to the project, ensuring the highest level of quality in regards to performance quality animation.
• Review all work prior to delivery, and educate the team regarding current animation techniques.
• Develop hand key and motion captured animation for humans, creatures, and vehicles to be integrated into cinematic sequences and/or in-game engines.
• Determine the workflow for the duration of the project with Production, Pipeline, Technical Art, and Motion Edit.
• Work within pipeline and tool standards set for each project, improve workflows and tool sets for future projects, and collaborate with the Technical Art team to ensure efficient integration of animation (key-frame and/or motion captured) into game engines and pipelines using custom tools.
• Ensure all deliveries from animation meet the specifications set by Pipeline and Technical Art. Responsible for all deliveries of the department, both aesthetically and technically.
• Uphold and carry out all project deadlines, working with project producers to ensure work is completed on schedule and with the proper crew.
• Collaborate with the Animation, Solving, Pipeline and Technical Art departments to develop shared tools, increase productivity, ensure efficient work hand offs, streamline processes, understand and teach the quality expected for delivery to the client and other departments.
• Assist in the documentation and maintenance of up-to-date processes for the animation team, as well as current and future contingent staff.
• Review and interview animators and assess their ability to work on a technical and artistic level; casting animation talent appropriate to accomplish delivery schedule.
• 10+ years of experience in the entertainment industry, including video game, film and television production.
• Expert knowledge of Maya and Motion Builder.
• Strong background in AAA Facial Animation workflows and experience with FACS based rigs; able to aesthetically and technically evaluate facial rigs for feedback with rigging artists.
• Strong aesthetics of character animation, character movement and camera composition; must have a trained eye for performance and have the ability to evaluate work, providing artistic and technical feedback.
• Mentor, delegate and challenge our team of artists. Identify animators who can be given more responsibilities.
• Collaborate with the production team and department management to meet all required deadlines and milestone.
• Strong pre-production skills required, including but not limited to thumbnails and story-boarding; must understand pipelines and the nature of production cycles in the industry.
• Experience in production of cinematics for video games or animated feature films.
• Experience supervising a team.
• Experience working directly in game engine builds or DevKits.
• Experience working with distributed animation team, potentially off time zone.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj24q1-3-233-219-62-42 in your application.