The Pirates WHY
The Pittsburgh Pirates are a storied franchise in Major League Baseball who are reinventing themselves on every level known for:
• purposefully developing a player and people centered culture;
• deeply connecting with our fans, partners, and colleagues;
• passionately creating lifetime memories for generations of families and friends; and
• meaningfully impacting our communities and the game of baseball.
These are carried out through Passion, Innovation, Respect, Accountability, Teamwork, Empath and Service.
The Pirates Creative Lab is looking for an experienced Director, Stadium Presentation who will be a leader, teacher, and hands on creator to join our growing team and help us build a best-in-class stadium presentation experience. Our primary organizational focus is to tell the stories of our past, present and future in ways that connect on an emotional level with our fanbase and future fanbase, using unbridled creativity, risk taking, and forward-thinking techniques and skillsets. The Director, Stadium Presentation will be a trusted leader of the Stadium Presentation Department for the Pirates; growing, teaching and working alongside a team of producers, videographers, designers, mograph artists, social strategists and creative directors to make the best work of their lives. Reporting to the VP, Creative & Content, this role will be integral in the strategic planning and execution of the content pillars for the organization and must have a working and high-level knowledge of in-game presentation, producing and directing an elite level show, running a team of experienced and new professionals, and how all of those pieces work together to influence audience behavior inside PNC Park. A strong understanding of current social, media and trends that will engage a younger audience is also a must.
You dream in a script format and you go about your day one minute at a time, just like the shows you produce. You love getting to know the fanbase so you can understand what hits with them and what falls flat. You are well versed in all aspects of a control room, relying on hiring the best-in-class crew to surround you every single game. You enjoy baseball and are a student of the game, but get more joy out of teaching the next generation of control room professionals the core concepts of how to entertain an audience, even while the product on the is rebuilding. You lead with integrity and empathy, assume brilliance on your team and are quick to give praise for a job well done. You are the one who has a more notes in your iPhone full of the ideas you want to create, than you have photos of your pets (ok, maybe you have more photos of your pets and that's cool with us too). And most importantly, you find harmony between your work and personal life, knowing when it's time to focus, and when it's time to focus on yourself. What excites you most about your craft and skillset is the ability to create an emotional connection to the fan in the stadium at whatever event you may be producing or directing.
• Direct and choreograph the entertainment programming for all 81 home games and contracted stadium events, including but not limited to - public address announcer(s), pregame ceremonies, in-game video and digital boards operation, animated features, audio and in-game music
• Work alongside the VP, Creative & Content, Director, Story & Production and Director, Stadium Presentation to push each other's daily thoughts and execution to think differently about the in-game show
• Collaborate directly with key stakeholders in marketing, ticket sales, Pirates Charities, Community engagement and partnership activation to develop the inventory and programming for promotional in-game integration of club initiatives
• Provide and accept real and constructive feedback when necessary
• Oversee the PNC Park control room team to execute all aspects of stadium presentation and production
• Oversee and delegate the creation of game-day scripts for every Pirates home game
• Partner with the creative and content team to brief in and request the ideation and development of all video board elements, including player features, animations, and more
• Oversee and manage the full-time and seasonal staff including training, scheduling payroll, gameday execution, and evaluations, working directly with leadership to ensure KPI's and goals are obtained personally and for the brand
• Consult, choose and oversee the maintenance for the in-game entertainment equipment and capital and manage relationships with outside maintenance vendors
• Work closely with ballpark operations department in the scheduling of all maintenance for the in-game equipment
• Oversee group budget
• Stay on the cutting edge of technology, activation, execution and ideation in your purview
• Work with the Creative Project Manager to strategize and optimize workflow and process
• Get your hands dirty in creation, brainstorming and design, leading by example
What makes you a good fit?
• You thrive on creative ideation, research and brainstorming with your team on historical and new visual language mediums
• You are well versed in control room technology, including but not limited to Ross Xpression, Evertz Dreamcatcher, Daktronics, Click Effects, Shoflo and more
• You get scrappy when needed, not being afraid to sit in on any control room job when needed
• You realize the role process plays in managing and effectively accelerating our content and stadium presentation ecosystem
• You are hyper-organized, love to wear many hats, and have an uncanny way of identifying and finding solutions for problems
• You are not afraid to ask for help and expect the same of your team
• You collaborate insanely well with others and love being in the mix of and leading ideation sessions
• Juggling ideas, solutions and projects makes you stronger
• You are comfortable dealing with peers, executives and talent in a professional and confidential manner
• Constantly on the lookout for new techniques, SaaS systems for the tech stack, and evaluating the newest tech that is out there to improve workflow and efficiencies
• Minimum of nine (9) years' experience working in stadium and in-game entertainment required
• Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in a management or supervisory role in live entertainment production
• Minimum four (4) years working with Ross Xpression and Evertz Dreamcatcher systems
• Previous experience with Daktronics, Click Effects, and Shoflo
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud
• Experience producing a show with multiple displays and a large control room team
• Proficiency with Excel, Word, Adobe Suite, Macs
• Familiarity with social media platforms and how different mediums convert and engage in unique ways
• Able and willing to attend all games at PNC Park, as well as other events that may take place on weekends and/or holidays
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6zyy9-34-228-52-223-42 in your application.