Penguin Random House is seeking a highly motivated, creative and adaptable individual with a strong work ethic to learn to work on a wide range of books from novels to complicated 4 color titles. The Senior Designer will be involved in the execution of all stages of interior book design for and hardcover titles and Trade paperback across multiple imprints in the Penguin division of Penguin Random House-focusing on the Avery & TarcherPerigee.
This position will be responsible for creating original designs under the supervision of the Associate Design Director. In this role, the senior designer will:
Design sample pages, set 1st pass of more complex titles and prepare instructions for compositors, work with artist/authors on packaged books, work with freelance designers and commission illustrators to create 1 color 2 color and 4 color art linking to the books content.
• Create original designs for titles across multiple imprints, genres, and formats. Example: gift books, packaged books, journals, workbooks, cookbooks, self-help titles 1 color, 2 color and 4 color titles.
• Handle design aspects of paperback conversions
• Prepare compositor instructions for new titles. Correspond with compositors to answer design queries and to meet target page count requirements.
• Create designs for 1-color photo inserts-includes generating final PDF for printing.
• Review digital and hardcopy art to ensure it meets printer specifications.
• Provide specifications for reprint corrections.
• Design and prepare text interior, insert, and binding mechanicals for print ready
• Handle design on paperback conversions
• Provide instructions to the e-books team for e-book creation
• Experience with archiving and pulling files from archive
• Experience with 4 color proofing is a must, must be able to work and collaborate on high profile titles in person to assure the quality of the proofs.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in interior trade book design.
• A general understanding of prepress and production technology for 4 color 2 color and 1-color printing.
• Portfolio demonstrating understanding of typographical and page layout conventions, eye for the design aesthetics of interior book design, and current design trends.
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) with emphasis on strong InDesign skills.
• Self-motivated, able to work with minimal supervision with good critical thinking skills.
• Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Ability to work efficiently on multiple projects, in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, quality, and process, ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage time efficiently.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Country: United States of America
State/Region: New York
City: New York
Postal Code: 10019
Job ID: 155822
Jul 21, 2021
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rzkn8n-35-172-223-30-42 in your application.