Publishing Assistant, Clarkson Potter, Ten Speed Press, Harmony & Rodale
The Random House Group is currently looking for a Publishing Assistant to join the proud home of the world's most acclaimed storytellers, thought leaders, and innovators.
Clarkson Potter and Ten Speed Press are both leading publishers of illustrated lifestyle books in the categories of Food & Drink, Design, Photography, Gift & Pop Culture, and Entertainment.
Harmony Books and Rodale Books publish unique approaches to health and wellness, lifestyle, diet, cooking, business, self-improvement, relationships, parenting, and spirituality, to guide readers to become their best selves both inside and out.
Reporting to the Deputy Publisher for Clarkson Potter, Ten Speed Press, Harmony, and Rodale, the Publishing Assistant will be able to efficiently and thoughtfully manage a diverse set of publishing responsibilities and adapt to different work styles and fluid reprioritization. The candidate should also have an interest in illustrated and non-illustrated nonfiction books in the categories in which we publish and will be creative, curious, and collaborative.
• Ensure that publication processes are followed and consistent across imprints
• Review tip sheets and key materials in preparation for sales marketing meetings
• Coordinate seasonal planning meetings for each imprint with designated Managing Editorial teams
• Work with Managing Editorial to compile materials in advance of and following up on each meeting
• Use Excel to prepare grids for scheduling meetings
• Attend weekly production status meetings and coordinate follow-up with editors as necessary, and weekly reprint and inventory meetings
• Communicate sales material deadlines to editors and tracks fulfillment of outstanding requests
• Lead the follow-up process regarding notes from sales reps surrounding key seasonal meetings
• Liaise between Director of Sales Marketing team and imprint Editorial staff
• Support the imprint editorial assistants with materials for seasonal launch meetings
• Aid Deputy Publisher in preparing for seasonal category focus meetings
• Track project deadlines with Managing Editorial and Editorial teams
• Maintain tracking grid of approved special effects spends
• Communicate with backlist authors and agents as needed
• Manage the release of title information data (blocks) feeding out to external partners
• A solutions-focused and goal-oriented mindset with the ability to multitask and prioritize across a breadth of administrative duties and long-term projects
• Excellent written and verbal communication with strong follow-up skills
• An organized self-starter with a clear eye for details both creatively and administratively
• An effective interpersonal communicator who can identify when to use discretion regarding confidential materials
• Ability to take initiative and anticipate needs no matter the environment
• A fluency in adapting between autonomous and collaborative work
• Proficiency in Word and Google Docs
Application Comprehension Skills (preferred, but not required) [training available]:
• Outlook Organization and Calendar Management
• Basic administrative understanding of Excel
• Basic creative and administrative understanding of PowerPoint
• Experience with Adobe Acrobat a plus
Entry-level salary for this position is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program, kindly include your cover letter and resume in our application system.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rb18zy-52-90-49-108-42 in your application.