Production Editor, Crown (Open to Remote)
The Crown Publishing Group seeks a Production Editor to oversee a variety of titles, from the initial transmittal of final manuscripts to bound books across its three key imprints, Crown, Clarkson Potter, and Ten Speed Press. From self-help and memoir to cooking and humor, the nonfiction titles for which this role is responsible is an exciting, broad-ranging list. The Production Editor will work on complex nonfiction and illustrated projects, such as self-help, business, cookbooks, decorating and design books, gardening books, graphic novels, journals, and more.
Crown is renowned as the go-to publisher of narrative and idea-driven non-fiction. As the preferred publisher of presidents and celebrities, Crown is responsible for some of the most high-profile publications of our time, including Michelle Obama's Becoming, Susan Cain's Quiet, Matthew McConaughey's Greenlights, Matthew Desmond's Evicted, and Erik Larson's The Splendid and the Vile.
Clarkson Potter and Ten Speed Press publish today's most influential and innovative voices in the cooking, drinks, pop culture, and lifestyle categories, and are the home of such celebrated voices as Ina Garten, Gina Homolka, Yotam Ottolenghi, Tieghan Gerard, Marie Kondo, and Claire Saffitz.
Th e Production Editor will work closely with the editorial, design, and production groups, and will be responsible for handling a variety of titles, including some hardcover-to-paperback conversions but mostly original titles, from manuscript to bound book .
We are looking for a detail-oriented, meticulous self-starter who has strong analytical skills, communicates clearly, and will be an active participant in a collaborative team. The ideal candidate will manage a diverse set of responsibilities efficiently and effectively and is comfortable asking for help when needed.
For consideration, please apply using our ATS system and include your cover letter and resume.
• Hiring and assessing the work of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, cold readers, and indexers.
• Preparing and styling initial text transmittals, sometimes using a custom Penguin Random House Word-based platform.
• Coordinating with the editorial, managing editorial, production, and design departments to see titles through to completion.
• Reviewing and collating author and proofreader edits, which includes additional copyediting, fact-checking, following up with queries to the editor and author, and gathering notes for the designer.
• Copyediting and proofreading supplementary material, such as front matter, back matter, cover copy, promotional material, etc.
• Reviewing and approving cover and jacket routings.
• Performing various administrative duties, including invoices, system updates, and status reports.
• Minimum of 5 years of publishing experience in a production editorial capacity
• Proven ability to work on complex nonfiction titles, including cookbooks and other illustrated projects
• The ability to set and meet deadlines
• General facility of modern copyediting style and an interest in the evolution of inclusive language
• S trong copyediting and proofreading skills
• Very good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to prioritize multiple assignments in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment
• Excellent attention to detail and highly organized
• Ability to work successfully independently as well as part of a team
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word (especially the track changes function) and Adobe Acrobat
• Knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition
The salary range for this position is $63,000 to $65,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Penguin Random House job postings include a good faith compensation range for each open position. The salary range listed is specific to each particular open position and takes into account various factors including the specifics of the individual role, and candidate's relevant experience and qualifications.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmyvk6-3-235-60-197-42 in your application.