We have an exciting opportunity at Penguin Random House for a Legal Assistant to support our Legal Department! This team is responsible for tackling a wide variety of challenges associated with being a global publisher. The Legal Assistant will play a key role in this mission by providing our attorneys administrative support and offering our diverse in-house clients business-friendly advice under the guidance of attorneys. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone considering a career in law.
The Legal Assistant will learn how the law applies to various publishing issues while working with a variety of business units including: Contracts, Copyright/Trademark, First Amendment (including defamation), Privacy/Data Protection, Digital & Audiobook Publishing, Author & Agent Relations, Editorial, Sales & Distribution, and Marketing & Promotion.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Act as first point-of-contact for in-house business and editorial clients seeking legal counsel
• Support 2-3 attorneys with administrative duties including expense report preparation, calendar maintenance, attorney travel plans, continuing legal education tracking, client communications and external correspondence
• Conduct research as directed by attorneys related to pre-publication review of editorial manuscripts and responses to/assertions of legal claims
• Review legal documents, such as non-disclosure and licensing agreements
• Assist with protection of intellectual property including anti-piracy enforcement
• Provide general administrative support to the department as needed
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
• Ability to effectively prioritize and work on multiple projects at a time
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proven ability to work independently as well as part of a larger team
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
• Ability to adapt and learn new systems quickly
• Prior experience working in a legal, business affairs, rights management, or media office environment is a plus
• Proficiency in Spanish is a plus
Salary for this position is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1oqz0-35-171-146-141-42 in your application.