Business Affairs Assistant
New York, NY
Legal Assistant, Penguin Random House
We have an exciting opportunity at Penguin Random House for a Legal Assistant to support our Legal Department! This team is responsible for tackling a wide variety of challenges associated with being a global publisher. The Legal Assistant will play a key role in this mission by providing our attorneys administrative support and offering our diverse in-house clients business-friendly advice under the guidance of attorneys. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone considering a career in law.
The Legal Assistant will learn how the law applies to various publishing issues while working with a variety of business units including: Contracts, Copyright/Trademark, First Amendment (including defamation), Privacy/Data Protection, Digital & Audiobook Publishing, Author & Agent Relations, Editorial, Sales & Distribution, and Marketing & Promotion.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Act as first point-of-contact for in-house business and editorial clients seeking legal counsel
• Support 2-3 attorneys with administrative duties including expense report preparation, calendar maintenance, attorney travel plans, continuing legal education tracking, client communications and external correspondence
• Conduct research as directed by attorneys related to pre-publication review of editorial manuscripts and responses to/assertions of legal claims
• Review legal documents, such as non-disclosure and licensing agreements
• Assist with protection of intellectual property including anti-piracy enforcement
• Provide general administrative support to the department as needed
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
• Ability to effectively prioritize and work on multiple projects at a time
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proven ability to work independently as well as part of a larger team
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
• Ability to adapt and learn new systems quickly
• Prior experience working in a legal, business affairs, rights management, or media office environment is a plus
Salary for this position is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy7xx0-3-238-130-97-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.