The Viking Penguin and Pamela Dorman Books imprints of Penguin Random House have an exciting opportunity for an Editorial Assistant to join their team in a hybrid capacity. Reporting to two Senior Editors, the Assistant will provide administrative and editorial support across an array of literary, upmarket, and commercial fiction, and a broad list of narrative and serious nonfiction titles. This position provides the opportunity to learn about the overall editorial process and the inner workings of a large publishing house.
Viking Books specializes in bringing extraordinary books to the broadest possible readership. They build on a hundred-year history to publish books for the 21st century, with a focus on innovation and creativity from acquisition through publication. Viking's expertise is making bestsellers and award winners.
Pamela Dorman Books has focused on fiction-especially well-written, accessible debut fiction-since its founding in 2008 by Pamela Dorman, SVP and Publisher. Pamela Dorman Books has published more than thirty-four New York Times bestselling titles.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Providing general administrative support by scheduling meetings, routing contract and payment requests, generating profit and loss statements, keeping track of deadlines, executing mailings, and filing expense reports.
• Assisting in the acquisitions process by logging incoming projects, reading and evaluating submissions, collecting sales data, providing competitive title research, and writing rejection letters.
• Shepherding books through the publication process by formatting manuscripts for production, drafting transmittal memos and copyright forms, and tracking copyedits and page proofs.
• Communicating with authors and literary agents, as well as a variety of internal departments such as Publicity, Marketing, Production, Managing Editorial, and Design.
• Writing and editing catalog, flap, and marketing copy, reading group guides; preparing title information sheets and other materials.
• Learning editorial skills, including line and structural editing, under the guidance of the editors.
• Updating online metadata fields (description, author bio, reviews, etc.) for current, forthcoming, and backlist titles.
Please apply if you have the following qualifications:
• Ability to set priorities among multiple assignments in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to be both efficient and detail-oriented
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Familiarity with and/or strong interest in upmarket and commercial fiction, and narrative and serious nonfiction
• Proven ability to use available resources to research and proactively problem-solve
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
• Prior office and/or publishing experience is a plus
*This NYC-based role is a hybrid position with in-office responsibilities, which include but are not limited to book mailings and in-office meetings.
The salary for this position is $48,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to Company results. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Penguin Random House job postings include a good faith compensation range for each open position. The salary range listed is specific to each particular open position and takes into account various factors including the specifics of the individual role, and candidate's relevant experience and qualifications.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r15jqv-18-207-129-175-42 in your application.