We have an exciting opportunity for an Editorial Assistant to join Penguin Random House! The Portfolio/Sentinel/Optimism imprint is seeking an Assistant to work with bestselling nonfiction books in the business, self-help, motivation, political, and narrative nonfiction categories. Reporting to an Editor and providing additional support to the imprint as needed, this role will provide administrative support and help oversee the entire editorial process from proposal to published book.
Our current and forthcoming authors include Simon Sinek, Indra Nooyi, Seth Godin, Sophia Amoruso, Ryan Holiday, Gregory Zuckerman, Y-Vonne Hutchinson, Ryder Carroll, Nick Bilton, and Marie Forleo. We publish internationally recognized economists, leaders, professors, CEOs, media personalities, and movement starters.
Our mission is to help them create the best vehicle for their ideas so that they may inspire, educate, and improve the lives of readers far and wide. You are our ideal candidate if you are a driven self-starter with a strong interest in and awareness of current events who would be excited to be at the forefront of the changing landscape of business, work, and politics and eager to grow into greater editorial responsibilities over time. No previous publishing experience is required.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Writing flap copy, title information sheets, and online copy.
• Managing communication between authors, agents, editors, and other internal departments such as production, managing editorial, art, and rights.
• Conducting sales research on competitive and comparative titles.
• Tracking and logging agented submissions, payment requests, and invoices; drafting contract and check requests.
• Evaluating manuscripts and writing reader reports for book proposal submissions.
• Providing general administrative support.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• Driven self-starter eager to learn more about the business of publishing
• Curious and fluent in current events, business, technology, politics, media, nonfiction books, and podcasts
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work in a tight-knit, intensely collaborative team environment
• Strong ability to multitask and meet deadlines
• Creative problem-solver who can anticipate the needs of the imprint
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
Salary for this position is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj2kj0-3-235-184-215-42 in your application.