Art Rights Assistant - Audio
Penguin Random House
New York, NY
Penguin Press is seeking an Editorial Assistant to read and evaluate submissions, provide administrative support, and oversee aspects of the editorial process for three editors. The Editorial Assistant will work on a distinguished list of narrative nonfiction, history, politics, science, and literary fiction. The imprint's award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors include Michael Pollan, Thomas Pynchon, Zadie Smith, Nate Silver, Celeste Ng, Ocean Vuong, Ron Chernow, Carolyn Forché, Gayle Tzemach Lemmon, Steve Coll, Elif Batuman, Ottessa Moshfegh, and Mary Oliver among others. Penguin Press is devoted to ideas that matter and storytelling that lasts.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Working with supervisors on the progress of book projects from acquisition to publication by arranging schedules with the Editorial, Managing Editorial, and Production departments.
• Preparing paperwork, including contract requests, profit and loss statements, estimate requests, and check requests.
• Acting as the in-house liaison between Editorial, Production, Design, and Managing Editorial departments, as well as the Sales, Marketing and Publicity teams.
• Assisting supervisors in the acquisitions process by reading and evaluating manuscripts and proposals, writing rejection letters, and researching and developing ideas.
• Liaising with authors and agents in all phases of process from acquisition to publication.
• Collaborating with supervisors on drafting catalog and cover copy for hardcovers and paperbacks.
• Providing administrative support by scheduling, managing mailings, etc.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• Prior office experience
• Genuine interest in serious nonfiction and literary fiction
• Strong follow-up and organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to prioritize and excel in a deadline-driven and detail-oriented environment
• Excellent attention to detail
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
*This hybrid role is based in New York City and will require someone in commutable distance to help the editors coordinate any in-person author and agent meetings, or to mail books out as needed.
The salary for this position is $48,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus subject to company results. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Penguin Random House job postings include a good faith compensation range for each open position. The salary range listed is specific to each particular open position and takes into account various factors including the specifics of the individual role, and candidate's relevant experience and qualifications.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8xwjm-3-238-180-174-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.