Penguin Random House
New York, NY
We are seeking an Editorial Assistant to join our team! In this role, you will assist the Senior Vice President, Editor in Chief; and a Vice President, Executive Editor at Random House. As the flagship imprint of the Random House Publishing Group, Random House has a distinguished history of publishing award-winning and bestselling fiction and nonfiction across a variety of genres, including literary fiction, biography/memoir, narrative nonfiction, science, history, and culture.
As an Editorial Assistant, you will contribute to and immerse yourself in a creative and hands-on department renowned by readers as the go-to publisher of important works of both fiction and nonfiction, and get exposure to all aspects of the editorial process from proposal to published book. You will be responsible for daily editorial activities, such as reading and providing input on proposals and manuscripts, drafting copy, participating in the development of new book ideas, researching trends and competition, and all-around project support, including working closely with production, for two senior members of the imprint. In addition to providing administrative support, this position also acts as a liaison between authors, agents, and different departments within the Random House Publishing Group.
We are looking for a detail-oriented, self-starter who is invested in learning about the publishing industry. The ideal candidate will be able to manage a diverse set of responsibilities efficiently.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Evaluate manuscripts and proposals and provide feedback to your editors and the editorial team on both fiction and nonfiction projects submitted by agents.
• Research trends and competition, including sales research on comp titles (books that may be comparable in terms of potential sales, audience, reader interest)
• Draft flap copy (the synopsis/pitch of the book) and Title Information sheets
• Manage communication with authors/agents, as well as within the editorial department
• Track and log agented submissions
• Draft contract requests and production & financial estimates for book acquisitions.
• Collaborate and manage information flow between editorial and other internal departments such as production, managing editorial, marketing, publicity, art, and rights
• Coordinate the editorial and production process, including the management of several production schedules for the editors' titles.
• Provide administrative support, including scheduling, phone answering, copying, filing, managing expenses, etc.
You are our ideal candidate if you meet the following requirements:
• An ability to follow up quickly with the Random House editorial team, authors, agents and other departments and to prioritize and complete multiple projects in a fast-paced and details-focused environment
• Detail oriented, with the ability to apply organizational methods and strategies to follow department processes, meet deadlines, and manage a busy inbox on Outlook
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
• The ability to maintain a professional correspondence with authors, their agents, and teams
• A creative and proactive problem solver
• A team player who can cultivate productive working relationships but also work independently when needed
• A broad reading sensibility, with interest in working on a wide variety of high quality literary fiction and non-fiction titles
• Someone who stays attuned to current fiction and non-fiction trends and reads widely on his or her own time
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Docs and able to learn new applications
Salary for this position is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6zp30-3-238-130-97-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.