Editorial Assistant - Alfred A. Knopf/Pantheon Books
The Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group, a storied leader in commercial and literary publishing and home to some of the most iconic authors in the world, including Nobel Laureates Toni Morrison, Kazuo Ishiguro, and Alice Munro; Prize-winners Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche, Margaret Atwood, Robert Caro, Joan Didion, Yaa Gyasi, Jhumpa Lahiri, Cormac McCarthy, Michael Ondaatje, Tommy Orange, Patti Smith, Anne Tyler, and Colson Whitehead; and global bestsellers Dan Brown, John Grisham, E L James, Erin Morgenstern, and Jo Nesbo, is seeking an Editorial Assistant.
The editorial team at Alfred A. Knopf and Pantheon Books is seeking an Assistant to report to three senior editors. The Editorial Assistant will be responsible for daily editorial activities, including proposal/manuscript reading, copy writing, art logs, and general project support. In addition to providing administrative support, the assistant will liaise with authors, agents, and different departments across Penguin Random House in support of the editorial process and the release of Knopf and Pantheon titles.
• Evaluate manuscripts and proposals and provide feedback to the editorial team on a wide variety of books, including fiction, nonfiction, and cookbooks
• Write catalog/flap copy (the synopsis/sell of the book) and fact sheets
• Collaborate with all in-house departments (publicity, marketing, sales, production, design, etc.)
• Coordinate details for the editorial and production process
• Act as point of contact between authors/agents and the editorial department
• Research trends and competition, including comp titles (books that will compete with sales/reader interest)
• Provide general administrative support
• Highly organized and able to balance multiple projects for multiple editors
• A strong writer and passionate reader, with a broad literary sensibility
• Interest in working on a wide variety of high-quality fiction and non-fiction titles; enthusiasm for books on food and the arts strongly preferred
• Able to apply organizational methods and strategies to meet deadlines and manage a busy inbox on Outlook
• Timely follow-up skills with authors and agents and ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects in a fast-paced and details-focused environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Experience working remotely a plus
• Foreign language skills are a plus but not essential
Entry-level salary for this position is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Kindly include your cover letter and resume in our application system.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3vx95-18-206-238-77-42 in your application.