Penguin Press is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support the VP & Publisher of the imprint in close contact with an associate editor, as well as an editor-at-large, by overseeing aspects of the editorial and production process and providing administrative support. The Editorial Assistant will work on a distinguished list of narrative nonfiction, history, politics, journalism, and literary fiction. The imprint's award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors include Michael Pollan, Zadie Smith, Vice President Kamala Harris, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Celeste Ng, Ocean Vuong, Ron Chernow, Carolyn Forché, Steve Coll, Elif Batuman, Ottessa Moshfegh, and Mary Oliver among others.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Working with supervisors, authors, and agents on the progress of book projects from acquisition to publication.
• Preparing paperwork, including contract requests, manuscript transmittals, profit and loss statements, estimate requests, and check requests.
• Liaising between the Editorial, Production, Design, and Managing Editorial departments, as well as the Sales, Marketing and Publicity teams.
• Assisting supervisors in the acquisitions process by reading and evaluating manuscripts and proposals, drafting rejection letters, and researching and developing ideas.
• Collaborating with supervisors on drafting catalog and cover copy for hardcovers and paperbacks.
• Providing administrative support by scheduling, managing mailings, etc.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• Genuine interest in serious nonfiction and literary fiction
• Prior office experience; publishing experience a plus
• Strong follow-up and organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to prioritize and excel in a deadline-driven and detail-oriented environment
• Excellent attention to detail
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Salary for this position is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d28qn5-3-236-55-22-42 in your application.