Penguin Random House is seeking an Editor or a Senior Editor to acquire and edit fiction for the Dutton imprint in the Penguin Publishing Group. This role will focus on general commercial and literary fiction, across genres that could include historical, book club, and suspense, with the opportunity to also consider select nonfiction and to acquire for Dutton's imprints, including Plume and Tiny Reparations. The ideal candidate will be a meticulous editor, a prompt and thorough communicator with a sharp eye, someone who will consistently pursue and attract new authors, and has strong agent relationships. The role will be fully involved in the publishing process through production and the editor will work to make the title succeed after publication. This is an excellent opportunity to establish and nurture relationships with authors, booksellers, reviewers, and others in the writing and publishing community.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Soliciting, acquiring, and editing books for publication.
• Working with the publicity and marketing teams to package and position books.
• Acting as the in-house liaison between editorial and the production, design, art, and managing editorial departments, as well as the sales, marketing and publicity teams.
• Helping other Editors assess projects as needed.
• Communicating with authors and agents in all phases of the publishing process, from acquisition to publish date.
• Effectively representing own list as well as the Dutton imprint to media, booksellers, foreign publishers, literary organizations, and other out-of-house contacts beyond authors and agents.
Please apply if you meet the following requirements:
• Minimum of 5 years of publishing experience in editorial acquisitions for a general trade publisher
• Strong editing capabilities
• Established contacts in the agent community
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills
• Strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to negotiate with authors and agents
• Proven ability to set priorities under pressure and multi-task effectively
• Excellent attention to detail
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Teams, etc.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Country: United States of America
State/Region: New York
City: New York
Postal Code: 10019
Job ID: 159705
Jul 7, 2021
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk39y4-3-235-227-117-42 in your application.