Book Production Design Assistant, Random House Children's Books
Random House Children's Books, a division of Penguin Random House, seeks a hands-on and detail-oriented Production Design Assistant who will be an essential member of Random House Children's Books Art Department, supporting the Creative Director and the Executive Art Director in the execution of all phases of bookmaking, primarily in picture book formats (hardcover, board book, and paperback), backlist repackages, reprints and special projects in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Imprints include Knopf Books for Young Readers, Make Me A World, Anne Schwartz Books, Doubleday Books for Young Readers, Random House Books for Young Readers, Random House Studio, and Crown Books for Young Readers.
A few of our bestselling titles across the imprints include The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin; All Are Welcome written by Alexandra Penfold, illustrated by Suzanne Kaufman; Grumpy Monkey written by Suzanne Lang, illustrated by Max Lang; and Uni the Unicorn written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Brigette Barrager, I Don't Want to Be a Frog by Dev Petty, illustrated by Mike Boldt; Can I Be Your Dog? by Troy Cummings; The World Needs More Purple People by Kristen Bell and Benjamin Hart, illustrated by Daniel Wiseman; and the Hello, World board book series by Jill McDonald.
The position will expose the production design assistant to all phases of file preparation, layout adjustments, and text corrections, with an emphasis on color correction and digital pre-press file creation for all formats, including picture books, novels, novelty books, chapter books, and activity books. The role is ideal for a highly organized , motivated, and skilled designer who can handle multiple tasks at one time in a deadline-driven environment and is interested in utilizing and expanding their technical skills to color-correct digital artwork, finesse illustrator files, and prepare 4-color mechs and print-ready files .
For consideration, please apply using our ATS system and include your cover letter and resume. Here are some tips on how to apply for roles here at Penguin Random House
Please include a portfolio that shows a strong interest and ability to work with digital prepress and print production. Please attach your portfolio as a PDF to your application or provide us a link to your online portfolio on your application. If password protected, please provide us with the password either on your resume or cover letter.
The position of Book Production Design Assistant at Random House Children's Books is a hybrid position with in-office responsibilities, which include but are not limited to color correction, reviewing proofs, and in-person meetings surrounding the production design and production of our books. We will consider candidates who can work from a commutable distance to our offices at 1745 Broadway, which includes the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT, & PA).
• Assists supervisors with design-related tasks using InDesign, Acrobat, Illustrator and Photoshop pre-press skills including but not limited to layout, text edits, and in-house proofing.
• Prepares/packages application files or press ready digital files, while maintaining production schedules and printer deadlines.
• Prepares Photoshop and Illustrator files and print-ready PDFs according to printer's standards.
• Communicates clearly and productively and shares information daily with supervisors and other colleagues across departments.
• Work collaboratively with art director and production team to review and color correct printers' proofs in the office.
• Prepare digital sales material as needed.
• Administrative responsibilities as backup to full time Admin Assistant on occasion would include scheduling and facilitating meetings, running presentations, collecting, and sharing meeting notes.
• Proficient in Adobe Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, with a proactive approach to developing skills by integrating new Adobe Suite tools or upgrades
• A proven knowledge of pre-press, 1-color, and 4-color printing process, and PDF workflow with an interest/affinity to acquire new technical skills and streamline processes
• Strong Mac computer skills and technical knowledge
• A highly organized multitasker and strong communicator in both verbal and written communication and can demonstrate an ability to ask for support or help when needed
• Strong eye for detail, color, and quality in the production process
• Self-starter with the dexterity and prioritization skills to work on independent and collaborative projects with competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Solutions-focused and highly resourceful as needs change in the production design process
The salary for this position is $48,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to Company results.
Penguin Random House job postings include a good faith compensation range for each open position. The salary range listed is specific to each particular open position and takes into account various factors including the specifics of the individual role, and candidate's relevant experience and qualifications.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8p22m-3-231-217-107-42 in your application.