- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
Job DescriptionSales Manager – Penguin Young Readers, Chicago
Penguin Random House is seeking a Sales Manager who will oversee the sales, marketing, and merchandising of titles across all Penguin Young Readers imprints, as well as titles for DK and client publishers. This greater Chicago based position will interact with a variety of accounts including select trade bookstores, toy stores, book fairs, college bookstores, and distributors in Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.
The Sales Manager will maintain ongoing communication regarding popular titles, backlist opportunities, and market trends between our publishers and the accounts, and will provide consistent feedback internally regarding the sell-in of titles and account needs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Overseeing the sales, marketing and merchandising of Penguin Young Readers, DK, and client publisher's books to accounts within designated territory. Customers include bookstores, toy stores, book fairs, and distributors.
• Servicing accounts in order to manage and grow their business in the most effective and productive ways.
• Implementing management goals, directions and requirements.
• Remaining current on Penguin Young Readers, DK, and client publisher titles, authors, industry related trends and competitors to allow for the maximization of sales and for accurate forecasting.
• Attending regional trade shows, author signings, and other industry and account related events in the territory.
• Self-managing the territory and office: itinerary, travel, analysis, email, sales materials, etc.
The ideal candidate possesses:
• Prior retail or sales experience; bookstore or publishing experience is a plus.
• Awareness and interest in children's publishing industry, including titles and authors
• Ability to cultivate and maintain business relationships specific to book sales.
• Highly organized with the ability to prioritize multiple projects.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications.
• Must have a valid driver's license and be able to travel 50% of the time.
• Ability to work some evenings and/or weekends
• Prior direct account management experience preferred.
• Prior experience working with children's books preferred.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1opvm-3-227-0-150-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.