Associate Counsel, Intellecutal Property
Universal City, CA
Meet Peacock, NBCUniversal's new, wildly entertaining streaming service that combines timeless shows and movies with timely news, sports and pop-culture. We're growing our team of smart, hungry, and upbeat doers who crave the chance to build something new at the epicenter of content, tech, and culture. We need fearless leaders and pop-culture fiends who work hard and fan hard. Creative problem-solvers who just so happen to be the reigning champs at Parks & Rec trivia night. So if this sounds like you, join our flock. And we promise, we won't put your stapler in Jell-O.
This Sr. Counsel role reports to the Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs and is part of a team responsible for providing Business and Legal Affairs services and advice for third-party produced Peacock Originals and Peacock Kids.
• Responsible for all legal matters during development, production, and delivery of third-party produced Peacock originals, including but not limited to evaluating rights/chain of title, managing risk across a broad range of production-related topics, and performing all other show lawyer duties (including reviewing COVID production plans for conformance with state and local requirements).
• Drafts, negotiates, reviews, analyzes and interprets contracts including rights, production services, co-productions, talent, producer, indemnity and quitclaim agreements in an accurate and timely manner and provides thoughtful and timely legal advice on potential risks and issues to internal business, production and creative partners.
• Interfaces with production service companies and internal business, production and creative partners to ensure all chain-of-title, guild requirements, legal requirements (e.g., Pence, engagement of minors), insurance requirements, clearance processes (title, script, production), production contracts (above- and below-the-line talent and crew, locations, vehicles, equipment, vendors, visual effects and music) and credits are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
• Advises and interfaces with all key departments including business affairs, creative, production management, risk management, content and production risk, intellectual property, labor, tax, finance, music, participations and residuals on matters related to productions.
• Supervises the review and logging of all production legal deliverables and maintenance of accurate, up-to-date Project Trackers.
• 7+ years of entertainment legal experience at a major law firm or studio.
• Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited law school.
• Member of the California State Bar, the New York Bar or Registered with the California Bar or New York Bar as in house counsel.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook; experience with document management systems and protocols.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program.
• Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA or New York, NY
• Willingness to work nights and on weekends, if needed.
• Strong academic credentials.
• Excellent negotiation, drafting and analytical skills.
• Strong background in copyright law and intellectual property matters.
• Experience working in alternative productions, such as reality, competition, and true crime.
• Working knowledge of the SAG-AFTRA, WGA and DGA Basic and New Media Agreements.
• Self-motivated with a strong work ethic; accountable.
• Develops and maintains strong, collaborative working relationships within, across and outside of the organization.
• Comfortable making legal decisions and advising on business risks.
• Applies sound, practical business judgment.
• Pro-actively identifies, prioritizes and resolves business and legal issues quickly and effectively.
• Possesses superior organizational skills; is able to handle and track a high volume workload.
• Works independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
• Prioritizes conflicting deadlines effectively; pivots quickly.
• Masters new areas of expertise as business needs change.