Product Manager, UX Design
Video Editor II
Department: Post Production Operations
Corporate Area: Technology and Operations
Supervisor: Senior Director, Post Production Operations
Under limited instruction, utilize industry standard hardware, software and third-party applications and appliances to edit products for PBS clients that meet and/or exceed their expectations while meeting the PBS Technical Operating Specifications.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Apply creative, technically sound and quality-oriented skills to consistently provide excellent editorial solutions in a client driven, deadline-oriented environment.
• Utilize non-linear editing system in conjunction with various professional broadcast equipment to edit required materials
• Perform craft editing services for PBS departments and ensure that the final material is delivered on-time and error free
• Follow established procedures to package programs, making sure the final product meets all PBS Technical Operations Specifications
• Create some original short format material such as featurettes, video presentations, online features, breaks, fillers, clip reels, event reels and mid-level effects
• Create mid-level effects and composites using applications such as Photoshop, After Effects and Illustrator
• Work within template graphics packages to update and deliver a finished error free animation or graphic product
• Utilizeindustrystandardprotocolandorganizationalstrategiestocreateprojectand simple graphic templates to be used by fellow editors
• Repair programs, including but not limited to replacing under writers and credit beds o Prepare materials offline for finishing and delivery such as mixdowns, conforms, embedded AAFs, etc.
• Operate industry standard production gear, such as test and measurement hardware and Captioning applications, in support of program deliverables per SOPs and guidelines
• Perform technical evaluations to ensure that the final product meets all PBS Technical Operations Specifications
• Apply knowledge of different codec, formats, and compression to produce desired end product for both broadcast and digital distribution
• Manage their portion of the shared storage environment
• Report suspected equipment failures in a timely manner
• Keep management informed of client concerns, requests, suspected billing, work
• order or scheduling adjustment issues
• Complete all required task management software work orders daily
• Complete all work associated with specific assignments
• Assist in researching, implementing, and documenting all in-suite processes and procedures
• Other duties as assigned.
Requirements for success:
• Undergraduate degree in Broadcasting, Art, Design, Film, Communications, Digital Media or equivalent experience in television or broadcasting
• Formal editing, animation and sound design classes and certifications preferred
• 4-6 years editing experience in a television or post production facility
• Demonstrated advanced experience with AVID and/or comparable editing systems
• Design and animation experience
• After Effects experience
• Some broadcast writing and producing experience
• Advanced broadcast technical knowledge
• Basic knowledge of design principles/compositional style for television, OTT and web distribution
• An extensive understanding of third-party plug-ins, multiple file formats and conversion techniques
• Working knowledge of audio production and monitoring including but not limited to mixing and recording both stereo and 5.1 material
• Ability to perform mid-level and some advance edits and corrections to material for distribution
• Working knowledge of test and measurement equipment (digital waveform and audio monitors)
• Knowledge of public television, including the needs of PBS internal clients and producers.
• Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently without any loss of quality
• Ability to adapt to an ever changing and dynamic environment
• Ability to prioritize and multitask without making clients feel excluded
• Ability to make informed decisions under pressure and meet all established deadlines
• Ability to act on direction and consistently deliver a quality product.
• Excellent client management skills with strong attention to customer service
• Excellent time management skills
• Very strong project management skills
• Good judgment and follow-through skills
• Good stress and crisis management skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• This position requires some evening and weekend work
• Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwnqek-3-235-179-111-42 in your application.
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.