Sr. Manager, Nielsen Operations
Team: Business Intelligence
The Data Strategy and Operations team is charged with ensuring that data about PBS programs and audience is collected efficiently, reported accurately and aligned with specific business needs. As a Sr. Manager/Manager Nielsen Operations you will join a team of professionals committed to delivering the data needed to empower a culture of decision-making that informs PBS's priorities and advances its mission to educate, inspire and entertain.
This role will be in charge of optimizing and upgrading the data operations required for measurement of PBS programs by Nielsen. PBS has one of the most unusual Nielsen-measurement procedures in all of US television. You will determine how day-to-day operations can be more efficient and what features are needed to scale and adapt the system for the future. This work will include documenting the system, identify its weaknesses and designing the methods and technology necessary to strengthen it. The Sr. Manager/Manager will then work with internal and external teams to implement necessary changes and build the required systems. When it is feasible this employee will also be expected to roll up their sleeves and build simple solutions on their own. Finally, they will coordinate with national and local broadcasting operations to ensure the necessary encoding software has been implemented to enable Nielsen measurement. These responsibilities will include serving as the primary technical point of contact with measurement vendors including Nielsen and Gracenote. Diligent documentation a commitment to optimization and an iterative approach will be crucial for success in this position.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• Monitor and document the entire workflow for submitting measurement orders to Nielsen
• Identify areas in the workflow that can be improved through with new technology, consolidated methods, better policies or innovative approaches.
• Create detailed process documentation and standard work documents. Update these documents to reflect new and improved process changes as implemented.
• Define the business case and document the requirements for any technology solutions that will be built by internal or external teams.
• Serve as the Project Manager on all associated projects to ensure they meet the most urgent needs, take an iterative approach and have a clear, measurable outcomes.
• Help to review the data that is submitted weekly to Nielsen to ensure accuracy and adherence to our standards and conventions.
• Communicate in clear, simple language the various aspects of PBS Nielsen operations to internal and external teams.
• Coordinate with the broadcast operations teams as well as the enterprise software group to implement the technology and procedures necessary to ensure accurate and comprehensive Nielsen measurement.
• Act as a subject-matter expert (SME) in the identification, development and implementation of efficiencies within the Nielsen data operations process.
• Monitor updates to Nielsen's systems and implement the necessary changes to PBS procedures to adapt.
• Help coordinate efforts to consolidate and standardize Nielsen measurement with the measurement of digital platforms.
• Serve as the point of contact for all technical issues and projects with Nielsen, Gracenote and other vendors associated with television broadcast measurement.
Requirements for success:
• 3-5 years of related data-operations experience preferably at a television network, digital entertainment company or with an entertainment-based research organization
• 1-2 years' experience working in Nielsen operations or with Nielsen TV-ratings data.
• 1 year working with television broadcast operations preferred
• Bachelor's degree. An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered
• Training or certification in Project Manager and/or Product Management preferred.
• Experience with Business Process Improvement methodologies and implementation strongly preferred
• Experience with digital analytics preferred
• Experience building lightweight data-processing solutions in Excel, Business Intelligence tools or programming languages preferred.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to function and to adapt to new goals, practices, etc. within a dynamic work environment
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance overlapping deadlines
• Ability to work independently and proactively, exercising sound judgment
• Ability to collaborate as a team player with all levels of staff and external stakeholders
• Proactively stays current in requisite skills within job scope, and incorporates knowledge and other feedback into work
• Consistently demonstrates respect for inclusion, diversity, and ethics
• An obsession with documentation
• An ingrained sense of how to take an iterative approach to solving problems and building solutions.
• A deep commitment to operational efficiency
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.