Sr. Broadcast & IT Engineer
Sr. Manager, Content Processing & Operations
Team: Media Operations Center
The Sr. Manager, Content Processing and Operations is responsible for directing and managing the MOC Technicians toward a goal of achieving high reliability for program delivery to broadcast and multiplatform distribution. The Sr. Manager will lead and oversee Technician content processing, liaise with PBS departments, maintain a positive environment in the Media Operations Center that encourages teamwork, problem solving and creative thinking, and make informed decisions under pressure while meeting deadlines.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• Provide real-time management and direction of the day-to-day operations and customer service of the PBS Media Operations Technician team responsible for ingest, quality control, and media packaging and processing
• Work with internal clients to confirm specific technical requirements required to complete their projects
• Utilize media asset management systems to track, maintain and perform research on media assets to support movement, fulfillment and security of media assets
• Monitor health of internal systems and workflows for proper operation including file delivery and management, automated transcode and file movement workflows tasked to move media
• Assist in development and implementation of on-going training for technical staff
• Participate in strategic planning initiatives to enhance and improve the Media Supply Chain
• Assist member stations, production facilities and producers with questions related to file deliveries and submissions and the PBS Technical Operating Specifications guidelines
• Recruit hire, and develop Media Operations Technician staff
• Monitor performance to provide clear feedback to the team, individuals on the team and management on an ongoing basis
• Collaborate with departmental management team to review and revise, as appropriate, workloads and workflows
Requirements for success:
• Eight years of experience in the television and/or cable television industry
• Bachelor's degree in television / cable operations management or equivalent combination of education and experience
• At least four years of experience in a management capacity
• Experience leading a technical, post production environment
• Experience managing a large group in a time-compressed environment
• Experience in developing and implementing customer service plans
• Experience managing union-represented employees.
• Detailed knowledge of television, video, audio, control, automation, video servers, archive systems, switchers, non-linear and linear editing systems and other television equipment
• Excellent customer service skills and issue resolution focus
• Experience with file-based delivery systems
• Experience with a variety of software applications and services used in broadcast and media environments, including Traffic system, MAM, AWS, Dashboards, Scheduling and Business Process Management tools.
• Demonstrated strong leadership ability in motivating and delegating priorities
• Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative
• Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks
• Strong management capabilities, excellent judgment, strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong project management skills, including the ability to help design, implement and manage programs for the PBS Media Operations Center, with attention to detail
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0ybom-18-206-238-77-42 in your application.
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.