Sr. Director, Assistant Controller Of Financial Reporting & Program Support
Sr. Director, Tax & Compliance
This position is responsible for ensuring PBS meets all required tax and compliance filing requirements in a timely manner and that all filings are accurate. This role requires maintaining a vast knowledge of not-for-profit tax rules and regulations at the federal, state, and other local jurisdiction levels and comfort with researching new tax rules, including preparation of position papers to document PBS tax positions. This position will be responsible for the preparation of the IRS Form 990 and 990T including all supporting schedules, all other state and local filings, as well as management of the 403(b) benefit plan audit and completion of Form 5500 returns. This individual will also oversee payroll and required payroll reporting and compliance.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Direct PBS's payroll function, including supervising the Payroll Manager; work closely with Human Resources to ensure that payroll is processed and recorded timely and accurately; and ensure that all payroll matters are resolved properly and expeditiously.
• Monitor payroll transactional processes and related controls to ensure that transactions are recoded consistent with GAAP and compliance with all legal requirements.
• Coordinate the annual audit of the PBS 403(b) Plan; prepare audit schedules, answer auditors' questions, and respond to their requests during the audit.
• Manage all activities related to PBS's various tax and compliance filings such as IRS Form 990 and 990-T, sales/use tax forms, Form D-20 (and other state franchise returns), Form 5500, personal property, unclaimed property filing, and international tax filings, as necessary, including preparation of returns for review by the Controller and CFO and maintenance of records support the returns. Work with the Accounts Payable team to ensure IRS Form 1099s are filed timely and accurately.
• Liaise with other departments to gather information needed to prepare complete and accurate returns and work with outside tax advisors to coordinate review of returns, as appropriate.
• Prepare analysis, as needed, to identify tax planning opportunities, assess new programs, and ensure PBS's returns are fully compliant.
• Coordinate charitable solicitation filings in all applicable states for PBS and PBS Foundation.
• Monitor PBS and PBS Foundation activities for unrelated business income (UBI) and determine UBI tax liability.
• Provide internal control support by approving new vendors to the accounting system and verifying all applicable W-9 or other tax forms are completed.
• Maintain chart of accounts in general ledger along with periodic review of access levels and management of accounting system licenses.
• Maintain a master compliance calendar of tax and other filings.
• Participate in year-end closing and new year set-up processes, in coordination with Human Resources, related to payroll and employee/executive benefit plans.
Requirements for success:
• Minimum of 10 years' experience in exempt organization tax.
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Accounting, Taxation, or related filed. CPA license required.
• Strong technical skills in Form 990 and 990-T reporting, written analysis of tax laws and regulations, unrelated business income tax, state and local tax, and compensation and benefits.
• Ability to work independently, monitor projects from start to finish and meet tight turnaround times.
• Excellent organizational, communications, and project management skills required.
• Must be able to work and collaborate in a team-oriented environment.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate proactively regarding project status, barriers, and possible solutions.
• Highly organized with ability to complete multiple high priority tasks within set deadlines.
• Ability to accurately apply professional knowledge, skills, expertise, and judgment to achieve excellent customer service in all interactions.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to collaborate with other divisions and provide excellent customer service to program areas.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4ybw7-3-236-170-171-42 in your application.
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.