The Payroll Manager is responsible for all aspects of the Union and non-Union payroll management, ensuring employees are paid timely and accurately and that all related payroll filings are completed. The Payroll Manager works closely with Human Resources to ensure accurate and timely processing of the PBS and PBS Foundation's semi-monthly payroll. The Payroll Manager serves as the liaison between PBS and its outsourced payroll provider.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Actively manages the day-to-day payroll activities to ensures the proper payroll preparation and production, including the coordination of Union Managers to ensure accurate time reporting and payroll for Union employees
• Works closely with the outsourced payroll provider to manage payroll upgrades, year-end closing, processing, updating, and setting up deduction and earning codes.
• Ensure all employee timesheets and time off requests are completed and approved timely to meet transmission deadlines for each payroll.
• Provides training and updates to new PBS employees, managers, and interns as needed.
• Reviews all union employee timesheet submissions on a semi-monthly basis to ensure time off and overtime are properly recorded.
• Prepares journal entries following each payroll. Prepares payroll account reconciliations and analyzes variances between pay periods.
• Reviews Federal and state tax filings and monitors changes in payroll regulations to ensure PBS is compliant and reconciles all tax reporting, including the quarterly 941 forms.
• Responsible for reconciling and preparing billings for employee benefit programs.
• Serves as a liaison between state tax authorities and the outsourced provider to ensure all tax withholdings are properly set up in each state for new hires and remote employees.
• Maintains recordkeeping of non-qualified plans and reconciles quarterly or annually as appropriate. Ensures compliance with supplemental tax withholding requirements.
• Identifies and resolves all payroll-related issues promptly.
• Responds and provides excellent customer service to written and verbal inquiries and requests from employees, supervisors, HR, and the payroll service provider.
• Processes monthly union dues.
• Works with Human Resources and payroll providers to ensure the accuracy and completeness of employee data (including leave records) in the payroll/HR systems.
• Prepares payroll related deliverables and schedules requested from external and internal auditors.
• Maintains current and complete documentation of payroll policies and procedures.
• Responsible for managing timekeeping and payroll systems. Requests system changes and seeks continual system improvement to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
Requirements for success:
• Minimum of 5-8 years of payroll processing experience required.
• Thorough and current knowledge of payroll, automated payroll systems, and the legal and regulatory environment affecting payroll.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting preferred.
• Certified Payroll Professional (CPP), Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC), or equivalent.
• Strong understanding and application of computer technology to accomplish work, using Microsoft Office programs, accounting and payroll software systems. Microsoft Dynamics AX and Workday highly desirable.
• Knowledge of and ability to process semi-monthly payroll.
• Knowledge of accounting and processing sufficient to review, examine and reconcile accounting transactions.
• Ability to maintain current knowledge of federal and state wages and labor laws and best practices in payroll procedures.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Proactively stays current in requisite skills within job scope and incorporates knowledge and other feedback into work.
• Consistently demonstrates respect for inclusion, diversity, and ethics.
• Ability to effectively handle high volume with strong attention to detail, outstanding numerical accuracy and meticulous follow-through.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment, in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and overlapping deadlines. Flexible, diplomatic and experience working with all levels of the organization, as well as external stakeholders.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0yq76-3-236-98-69-42 in your application.