Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
Weekend All Things Considered is NPR's influential, agenda-setting weekend evening news magazine. As Supervising Editor, you will play a key role in driving the editorial agenda for the show each weekend, managing a team of talented journalists. You will lead breaking news coverage of events in the US and around the world, and ensure that the show is at the leading edge of the conversation across a range of issues. Duties for this position include assigning the producers and editors, helping to shape conversations, framing story ideas, tracking long-term projects and features, coordinating with reporting desks, editing interviews, and line editing as needed.
As a manager, you will be assigned direct reports and will be expected to evaluate and develop personnel, including preparing their regular performance reviews and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions.
The Supervising Editor, alongside the Executive Producer, will implement the overarching vision for news, features and digital content for the show. You will also co-manage personnel issues related to the program.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree (preferably in Journalism), or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience
• Ability to drive editorial excellence and strategic results.
• Orchestrate breaking news plans.
• Lead editorial meetings, encouraging staffers to pitch and execute great story ideas.
• Cultivate and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
• Ability to edit live and pre-recorded host interviews.
• Provide written and verbal editorial feedback to staff that elevates performance.
• Ability to manage complex workflow with hosts and producers to determine proper approaches to stories, subjects to be discussed and individuals to be interviewed.
• Collaborate with digital news to maximize show content across platforms.
• Work efficiently and calmly on deadline.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r19mq0-3-234-244-105-42 in your application.