Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
This Supervising Editor will direct our news operations through the overnight on weekdays and manage a team of editors and reporters. They will also work closely with Morning Edition and Newscast to coordinate breaking news coverage in those hours. This person will very often edit scripts -- and they should be comfortable doing so, either through demonstrated experience, or a willingness to learn.
Content creation: The role requires this leader to act in the moment -- starting a live blog when news warrants, positioning/priming the morning reporters for assigned stories -- all the while keeping an eye on Chartbeat, Twitter, Crowdtangle and other signals to ensure we are staying competitive, and covering the right stories in the right way. Another big part of the role is to possess editorial ingenuity: to find angles (and sources) to tell the stories that can be constructed at those hours and held-to-publish for the morning audiences across platforms- all the while keeping in mind our North Star of reaching a diverse audience.
Curation: A second critical component of this role is how we present the stories we create: what should we alert, when and where. This leader exercises sound editorial judgment that is informed by data and analytics.
Collaboration: This role is part of a collective management team that will consult daily to determine -- and deliver -- on our priorities. Furthermore, it requires tight communication and coordination with the overnight team for Morning Edition and our Newscast unit.
Coaching and management: The supervising editor will be tasked with setting goals for their team members. This is a prime role for someone who has shown leadership promise to act on that potential.
• Develop and execute stories
-- both breaking news and quick-turn enterprise -- for all NPR digital platforms, comfortably editing with speed, voice, nuance and curiosity.
• Collaborate regularly with colleagues on broadcast -- newscasts, magazine shows and podcasts -- to make sure our reporting is properly vetted and presented across platforms.
• Field, solicit, edit, organize contributions from others at NPR, including show hosts, correspondents, reporters, producers and editors.
• Ensure that all materials meet NPR News standards and practices, including standards of accuracy, fairness, honesty and impartiality.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under tight deadlines and changing priorities/conditions.
• Consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Supervise at least 3 direct reports, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience)
• Four years' experience reporting or editing national or international news writing on deadline.
• Four years' experience reporting and writing with an emphasis on breaking news.
• Demonstrated excellence in reporting and writing for digital.
• Demonstrated news judgment.
• A passion for digital reporting, writing and/or editing.
• Demonstrated ability to work at different levels of a newsroom.
• Demonstrated familiarity with NPR journalism.
• Ability to solicit and edit work from other reporters.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under tight deadlines and changing priorities/conditions.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Must be able to report breaking stories.
• Experience covering a variety of beats
• Broadcast experience
• Experience working with a news network
Does this job sound exciting? If so, we want to hear from you -- even if you feel like you don't meet all the requirements. Send us your resume and explain in your cover letter why you'd be perfect for this role.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3xe8q-54-174-225-82-42 in your application.