Senior Producer, All Thing Considered
NPR's All Things Considered is the flagship newsmagazine show for the network. Hosts Audie Cornish, Ari Shapiro, Mary Louise Kelly and Ailsa Chang work with a team of editors and producers to provide the latest details on breaking news, as well as the crucial context behind those stories. The launch of afternoon news podcast Consider This in 2020, provided an additional platform for helping listeners understand the news by explaining the systems and structures behind it.
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
The ideal candidate for this position will believe deeply in the responsibility of public service journalism. They/she/he will have a capacity and passion for mentoring staff at all skill levels, and will thrive in a deadline-driven and collaborative environment.
This position is based in Washington, DC, and may require occasional travel.
• Develops timely, original program content for All Things Considered and Consider This, actively pitching forward-looking stories, with the ability to turn on an aggressive deadline
• Takes the lead in executing major show-based projects, working closely with show and newsroom colleagues to serve broadcast, podcast and digital audiences
• Regularly rotates into Line Editor role, guiding the shape over the overall show as well as taking responsibility for editorial integrity and quality of final broadcast/published product
• Actively provides editorial guidance and mentoring for more junior editorial/production staff
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in audio journalism/news
• At least 5 years of experience leading / mentoring staff
• At least 10 years of experience as a journalist in audio/news
• Proven experience maintaining high journalistic standards on multiple projects simultaneously, under stringent timeframes and changing/priorities/conditions
• Demonstrated ability to work as decisive leader, as well as a collaborative team member
• Experience communicating with NPR Newsroom and other internal stakeholders, in order to effectively oversee team interactions within NPR
• Manages Complexity
• Solutions Based Thinker
• Accurate Problem-Solver
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.