NPR is looking to grow its multi-platform team of general assignment reporters. We're looking for agile reporters who can write quickly, conversationally and with precision for the web. These positions are critical as we strive to serve NPR's growing digital audience, particularly at night and on weekends. Successful candidates must be able to work flexible hours across the 24-hour news cycle, including evenings, overnights and early mornings.
Their immediate remit will be breaking news. We are a news network that works with hundreds of member stations to deliver fast, accurate information. Our general assignment reporters are positioned to be the agile, front line of our news gathering efforts. They work with desk editors and reporters around major news cycles like presidential campaigns and global pandemic events. And they become pop-up subject matter experts for all manner of stories that they own for the network across platforms -- from baseball to budgetary policy to baking.
But in moments where the news cycle is more structured, we expect general assignment reporters to pitch and report out stories that can take our audience to less well-worn digital paths. Part of NPR's mission is to illuminate the national conversation and we value stories that can help the audience understand the world as it is unfolding around them.
We're looking for reporters who can bring a distinctive voice and sense of curiosity to stories, melding original reporting with the work of other journalists both inside and outside the network.
NPR is a collaborative newsroom. So we expect the right candidates will develop fruitful working relationships with beat-reporters and coverage editors that cross platforms -- radio broadcasts and podcasts and native social content and visually-led storytelling for our own websites and apps.
• Pitch and execute stories across all NPR platforms on breaking news, with an emphasis on the website and apps, comfortably writing with speed, voice, nuance, clarity and curiosity.
• Pitch and execute quick-turn enterprise story ideas.
• Regular collaboration and coordination with colleagues on broadcast -- newscasts, magazine shows and podcasts.
• Field, solicit, and incorporate contributions from others at NPR, including show hosts, correspondents, reporters, producers and editors.
• Work with colleagues across other divisions at NPR - from the technologists and designers of Digital Media to the analysts of Audience Insights to the audio storytellers in Programming - to provide input on issues that affect NPR's journalistic integrity,digital presentation and productivity.
• Contribute storytelling that reflects and informs the modern American public and contributes to the mission of NPR.
• Four years experience reporting.
• Two years experience reporting and writing with an emphasis on breaking news.
• Demonstrated excellence in reporting and writing for the internet.
• A passion for internet storytelling.
• An interest in finding stories that bring joy and uplift to readers.
• An interest in finding stories that can illuminate the national conversation in the spirit of NPRs mission of serving the public.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Must be able to report breaking stories
• Familiarity with NPR journalism.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system and empathy for colleagues all operating under the remote-work conditions of the quarantine and pandemic.
• An ability to articulate one thing you love about the internet.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in journalism.
• Experience covering a variety of beats