The Reflect America Fellowship
NPR wants to look and sound like America, so we’re seeking a tenacious journalist to work with producers, reporters, hosts and editors to bring the eclectic voices of the country to our audience.
We’re looking for someone who stays on top of the news, is well-versed in a wide range of topics, and wants to learn and grow in one of the nation’s most dynamic news organizations. In this fellowship, you’ll find, vet and book a diversity of experts and everyday people for stories and interviews on the radio, online and in podcasts. You’ll train colleagues across a variety of topics, and you’ll do a reporting rotation with one of NPR’s news teams.
As a fellow, you’ll expand your skills and portfolio in an innovative newsroom with an unparalleled storytelling legacy. Come work and learn alongside journalists whose award-winning stories inform millions of people and provoke change.
This is a full-time, 12-month fellowship that begins on May 3, 2021. The application deadline is February 12, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. ET.
• Work with editors, producers and reporters to find new, diverse voices and get them on the air, and into podcasts and online stories
• Report for three months with one of NPR’s core News teams
• Work with NPR researchers on our ongoing sourcing efforts, helping NPR and Member stations find new ways to keep tabs on the diversity of sources
• Other duties as assigned
• At least two years journalism experience (including internships and fellowships) in any medium
• Fluency in digital journalism and social media platforms
• Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively
• High-quality writing skills
• A college degree or equivalent work experience
• Fluency in another language, especially Spanish
• Experience with sourcing and reaching out to subject-matter experts
• Project management skills
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.