Podcast Fellow, Code Switch
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worwide.
The team at Throughline is a highly collaborative, curious, creative, and hardworking group producing one of NPR’s top podcast programs. Our podcast show will soon be broadcasted on radio member stations nationwide, and it’s currently downloaded by hundreds of thousands of listeners each week. Throughline provides the history we sometimes forget — or didn't know in the first place — of events in the news and ideas dominating our national conversations. Through cinematic and sound-rich storytelling, we will give you the story and perspectives often missing from history textbooks to help you understand our world today. Music and sound weave throughout each episode, bringing the themes and concepts to life through some of the most compelling non-fiction audio storytelling being made today.
We are seeking a Producer who can do it all: transform our pre-existing podcast episodes into broadcast-ready episodes, craft a richly textured multi-layered mix using multiple sources of audio, music and sound; write tight scripts fitting our hosts’ voices; pitch smart and engaging ideas; dive deep into complex and compelling subjects while always finding the stories in research; mentor junior producers on storytelling style and aesthetic approach; strive to be creative, inventive and playful; and work fastidiously, with a deep sense of our attention to the facts and our journalistic responsibility to be as fair and accurate as we possibly can.
• Edits audio.
• Edits pre-existing podcasts into episodes suitable for broadcast
• Edits host interviews, archival audio, and actualities
• Prepares scripts and other materials as required
• Is deft at layering music and other elements
• Compiles all elements of program for final mix
• Distributes mixes to all programming platforms (radio, podcast, digital)
• Assists in producing program material for host, producers, and others in studio.
• Works with host, producers, and others in arranging for related elements to complete or supplement a piece
• Be skilled in the sourcing of diverse and representative voices when planning and executing the program.
• Generates segment and interview ideas.
• Researches and pitches ideas for interviews and segments
• Prepares questions and approaches to host interviews
• Conducts research and assists in arranging interviews
• Pre-interviews guests and prepares research material for host
• Writes program copy.
• Drafts copy for host interviews and digital components of the show
• Writes open and return copy.
• Bargaining unit employees may be given assignments on different platforms, such as multimedia production, including producing Web text, interactive material and multimedia content.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least 4 years’ experience in broadcasting
• At least 4 years’ experience in news journalism
• At least 4 years’ journalism-related research, with ability to collect, organize and disseminate information
• Strong digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as both a newsgathering technique and, especially, as a way to distribute content.
• Ability to edit audio
• Thorough knowledge of research tools, including computer access data banks.
• Ability to work independently
• Demonstrated ability to write compelling copy for podcast + broadcast
• Demonstrated knowledge and ability to adhere to NPR’s journalistic ethics and standards
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team with patience, kindness, empathy and a sense of humor.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
Preferred Skills & Competencies:
• Experience in radio broadcasting
• Experience producing in Pro Tools
• Proficiency in a language other than English
• Managing Complexity
• Building Collaborative Relationships
• Quality Decision Making
• Critical Thinking
• Flexibility with ambiguity
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.