Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
We strive to cover politics differently and we're looking for an editor to shape NPR's political coverage for the future, grounded in what the American people want and need from the political system and scrutinizing why they often aren't getting it. Elections are about power – both how it's granted by the voters and guarded by the politicians. This editor will bring a clear vision for how to cover politics in a way that breaks through with new audiences, particularly to reach younger and more diverse listeners and readers. We are seeking an editor with the instincts and ability to mobilize on a story quickly, plus the forethought and creativity to design coverage that will illuminate – not exhaust – the audience.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC that may require occasional travel and flexible scheduling, particularly at the height of election seasons.
The political editor will be a part of NPR's Washington Desk, which produces sophisticated yet accessible coverage of the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court, the Justice Department and the democratic process. The politics team works within the desk to focus on voters, the issues that motivate them and the candidates trying to win their support. Vital to our mission are the following: original reporting, insightful analysis, a commitment to explanatory journalism and reaching the audience wherever they are. Known for our work ethic and team spirit, the Washington Desk aspires to great storytelling both on air and online. Our coverage is featured on Morning Edition, All Things Considered, NPR.org, The NPR Politics Podcast and Up First.
• Develop and edit daily, feature and long-term reporting on politics and elections with NPR reporters assigned to political beats and NPR member station reporters.
• Coordinate coverage and develop collaborations with other teams at NPR covering politics and producing coverage on various platforms for regular coverage and special events.
• Serve as an editorial resource for NPR's newsroom and stations on politics and elections.
• Generate story ideas and review story pitches, help develop storytelling approaches and sources, and determine how best to present reporting on different platforms.
• Protect the editorial integrity and quality of news wherever it's reported, ensuring that all stories meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity, and balance;
• Contribute to the editorial conversation and assignments on the Washington Desk and NPR Politics.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience
• Minimum 4 years of experience as an editor or reporter covering politics
• Proven editing ability and outstanding news judgment
• Experience with audio, digital and emerging platforms
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of accuracy and objectivity
• Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative ideas and to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Experience editing for radio;
• Experience editing breaking news;
• Familiarity with NPR member stations and public media system;
• Expertise in writing, with excellence in news writing, copy editing and headline writing.
This position is covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with SAG-AFTRA. The minimum annualized salary for this position is $105,000.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rvy62j-3-234-244-105-42 in your application.