Podcast Fellow, Code Switch
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Rough Translation delivers intimate, personal narratives from people living against the backdrop of big events and issues – from cancel culture in China to finding the Indian caste system in Silicon Valley. These are carefully reported stories from diverse voices that help listeners see their world and their lives from a new perspective. We’re looking for a producer to fill a key production and editorial position on a highly collaborative team.
You care about story structure, finding compelling characters, and sticking a landing. You write and support writing with flair and accuracy, have a deep understanding of and love for narrative journalism and can cut tape, produce, score and do it all quickly.
This is a temporary, remote, 5-month position, beginning January 2021.
The Producer brings audio and editorial experience to the team. They work on all aspects of show production.
• Produces, scores and publishes episodes in close consultation with host and editor.
• Assists host/reporters in organizing and focusing their stories throughout reporting, writing, editing and fact checking process.
• Supports host/reporters in technical aspects of recording, reporting and interviews.
• Active in pitch meetings, pitching specific stories as well themes/broader areas of coverage.
• Assists with future planning and development of host projects.
• Writes creative copy.
• Produces social media content.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience, required or preferred. (Ex: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience)
• At least 4-6 years’ experience in journalism.
• Knowledge of and passion for long-form narrative storytelling in the audio space.
• Demonstrated ability to edit and produce audio within tight deadlines.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Proven ability to consistently work as part of a team, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Podcasting experience strongly preferred.
• Proficiency in ProTools strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of basic and advanced principles of audio production for information and news programming.
• Experience with the type of audio production done at NPR.
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.