Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
The Producer I will join a collaborative team that is advancing a key part of NPR’s digital audio strategy. As a member of the NPR One Editorial Team, they will curate and program NPR One, NPR’s owned and operated digital audio system that powers listening experiences on mobile apps, voice assistants, npr.org and other emerging platforms. They will also have the opportunity to contribute to NPR’s other strategic digital initiatives and daily news reports, across platforms. The Producer I’s regular job responsibilities include programming listening experiences on NPR One, producing, writing and/or editing stories for NPR One and other digital platforms, and coordinating NPR One’s coverage of key news events. They should be inspired by the opportunity to transform NPR’s flagship radio shows into great digital experiences for new and diverse audiences.
The ideal candidate will:
• Be comfortable using and analyzing data to help make editorial decisions.
• Enjoy being part of an innovative and collaborative team.
• Not be scared of technology. They must work well with developers and product managers to continually evolve our platforms, tools and listening experiences.
• Be a team player - willing to pitch in and help wherever needed on a small team with a lot of ambition and responsibility.
• Curates the national news content in NPR One on a regular basis.
• Handles varied shifts as assigned working on deadline and under pressure.
• Applies news judgment to curate and classify stories in NPR One.
• Assigns and recommends stories to NPR One users.
• Produces, edits, and/or writes NPR One packages, playlists, original stories and promos related to daily shows, specials, podcasts and other news coverage.
• Coordinates NPR One’s coverage of developing and future stories.
• Works closely to ensure that post-production of stories is accurate and appropriate, and NPR One-exclusive material is smoothly integrated into the technical systems that run NPR One.
• Partners with the Managing Director to make changes to the systems and algorithms that controls the content presented in NPR One.
• Collaborates with the Managing Director and product teams at Digital Media to develop and refine tools and workflows for content delivery.
• Develop, and produce content for other digital platforms.
• Works under tight deadlines. Research, writing, spelling/grammar skills are essential.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• At least 4 years experience in daily coverage of national news or general news.
• Familiarity with topics such as foreign policy, business, sports, science, music, arts, etc.
• Solid, independent news judgment.
• Demonstrated skills in writing and editing.
• Strong understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Demonstrated ability to edit and produce audio in deadline situations.
• Experience using audio editing software such as Protools or MTE.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Strong oral communication skills.
• Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
• A love for the internet, storytelling and serving an informed public.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.