Elections News Apps Developer - Temporary
Application Deadline: Sunday, September 24th at 5PM EST
NPR's News Apps/graphics team is looking for a civic-minded developer to join us to cover the 2024 elections. Our team works on data visualizations, information design, creative story presentations and custom tooling to help tell stories in the NPR newsroom. (You can see some of our past work on our team blog and GitHub sites.) This is a temporary position, running through Nov. 15, 2024, and can be based at our Washington, DC, headquarters or at a remote location in the US approved by NPR.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to help our audience make sense of the elections, including key issues, results and analysis. Your biggest responsibilities will be to help design and build our results infrastructure for primary season and the general election, and to work on related stories and analysis. You will be assigned other projects as bandwidth permits.
On this team, you will have to work quickly in a dynamic environment. Members of our team wear many hats - designer, reporter, data wrangler, developer, cartographer, sysadmin, etc. Depending on your experience and the team's needs, you'll also utilize different skills day-to-day. And you'll work closely with various journalists and storytelling units around the NPR organization and across our network of member stations, including photographers and video journalists, beat reporters and show producers, copy editors, digital editors and engagement editors.
This is a union represented role covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with SAG-AFTRA.
• Set up and test our election results data pipeline (using data from the AP elections API and other sources) for primary elections and the November general election
• Build user-facing election results displays for use on NPR.org and member station websites
• Translate editorial goals into sustainable applications and infrastructure.
• Work closely with individual story producers, editors and teammates to identify opportunities for visual storytelling, data visualization and/or analysis
• Assess what work realistically can be executed in the time available and meet agreed-upon deadlines
• Document your work for teammates, newsroom colleagues and/or external audiences, as relevant
• Coach other team members, articulating story, design and code suggestions in a helpful and supportive way
• Maintain and extend the team's technical infrastructure and development best practices
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be assigned, and this job description can be modified at any time.
Three or more years of experience in news development (or a similar field)
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
• Remote Permitted: This is a remote permitted role. This role is based out of our Washington, DC office but the employee may choose to work on a remote basis from a location that NPR approves.
• Experience designing interactive or data-heavy projects with a static architecture
• Experience with setting up servers, crons and server-side data processing workflows
• Familiarity with Amazon Web Services and provisioning AWS resources using the console, CLI and API
• Solid news judgment. You can think of software in terms of the information needs of the audience
• Proven success implementing complex designs in HTML/CSS
• Experience developing software projects using the Git version control system
• Cultivate and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
• Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
• Experience with the AP elections API
• Experience with Node, EJS and other elements of our technology stack.
• Experience working iteratively and collaboratively (for example, using Agile or a similar project management process).
• Experience with GIS/mapping software such as QGIS, Leaflet, topojson, mapshaper, or ESRI.
• Familiarity with data analysis techniques, especially in command-line or scriptable environments like Jupyter Notebook, Pandas or numpy.
• This is a temporary full time position.
Hourly Rate: The US based anticipated hourly rate for this opportunity is $45.67-$46.87 plus benefits. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum hourly rate NPR expects to provide for new hires for the position across all US locations.
Benefits: NPR offers access to comprehensive benefits for employees and dependents. Regular, full-time employees scheduled to work 30 hours or more per week are eligible to enroll in NPR's benefits options. Benefits include access to health and wellness, paid time off, and financial well-being. Plan options include medical, dental, vision, life/ accidental death and dismemberment, long-term disability, short-term disability, and voluntary retirement savings to all eligible NPR employees.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter, your resume, portfolio and (if applicable) GitHub profile.
The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salaries NPR expects to provide for new hires for the position across all US locations.
NPR Pay Range
$45.67 - $46.87 USD
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r142em-44-192-254-173-42 in your application.