The Visuals team at NPR works across all of our content areas, news, programming, music and podcasts. The Visuals Copy Editor main focus will edit stories, scripts and text for our Visual Newscast that appears primarily on smart screen devices along with all other platforms including NPR.org, Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter. The position will require the ability to think both quickly and expansively about editing. Ideal candidates will bring experience in copy editing, writing and crafting headlines as well as workflow management. This candidate must be a team player and believe in the value of daily news coverage. There are opportunities to work on NPR's Visual Storytelling platform, The Picture Show, where we tell a diverse range of stories about many topics including identity, climate change and LGBTQ communities. This editor will help imagine and translate NPR's distinctive journalism to new and diverse audiences on all platforms. This position will require working nights, weekends and holidays as needed. This position reports to the Senior Supervising Editor for Visuals.
• Edit stories, headlines, teasers and other copy for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, tone and SEO best practices.
• Must be able to edit for breaking news with speed and distinction.
• This role is a leading voice in ensuring accuracy, consistency and quality across NPR platforms.
• Copy edits and proofreads photo galleries, video text, graphics and visual narratives, stories, display copy and other text for spelling, grammar, accuracy, style, punctuation, fairness, balance and tone
• Attend meetings as needed with the Visuals team, desks, podcasts and shows.
• Uphold the highest standards for NPR's visual journalism and storytelling.
• Stay up to date with NPR broadcasts, podcasts, reporters, news wires, competition and internal communications to make sure our visual storytelling is optimized and smart.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts, including some weekends
• Additional duties as assigned by your manager.
Bachelor's degree in journalism, English or writing-intensive discipline (or the equivalent combination of education and experience).
• At least two years of experience as a copy editor in a daily newsroom.
• At least one year of experience in editorial decision-making.
• Demonstrated skills in copy editing and headline writing.
• Thorough knowledge of Associated Press style.
• A broad range of general news knowledge.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Willingness to learn skills necessary to work on digital platforms; ability to adapt to changes in equipment, software and workflow.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Excellent organizational, communication and collaboration skills.
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
• Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as needed, including early morning, nights, weekends and occasional holidays.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro3yv6-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.