Senior Podcast Editor/ Supervising Editor
New York, NY
The Indicator from Planet Money is looking for an Associate or Assistant Producer for a temporary assignment to last 6-9 months.
Ideally this person is interested in finding creative ways to explain systems of economics and money (also power) to people who might not normally care about money and economics. We’re looking for someone with experience in a fast-paced journalism environment, like a daily show, radio newsroom, or similar. Narrative audio experience and Pro Tools mixing experience also desired.
Our story selection and editing process is driven by the taste, curiosity and interests of our staff, so building a diverse staff is crucial to making our coverage more representative of the vastly diverse ways Americans, and others, experience the economy and how it affects them. So, we strongly encourage people of all backgrounds, races, genders, and abilities to apply.
• Assist hosts as needed
• Identify and book guests, both experts and unexpected characters
• Cut down longer interviews into short, fluid, conversations
• Cut, edit and mix scripted episodes on deadline with guidance from hosts and editor
• Gather tape, either from sources you find, “found sound” on the internet, or field tape, when field reporting is safe again
• Conduct research on show topics
• Pitch stories that help our audience understand the economy better
• Produce content for digital media, including writing and scheduling social media posts, web copy and newsletters
• Coach hosts during tracking
• Assist in coordinating workflow scheduling and communication with other units of NPR as needed to execute the show
• Contribute to the overall journalism of the team generally
• Complete other tasks as needed
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• 3-8 years of experience in a news environment or working experience in the field of economics
• Experience in podcasting and/or radio broadcasting
• Ability to troubleshoot audio recording in remote environments
• Ability to edit audio decisively, on deadline, ideally in Pro Tools
• Strong storytelling sensibilities, an ability to identify anecdotes that can bring a larger idea or research finding to life, able to re-structure a story to enhance clarity and flow
• Experience and demonstrated commitment to fact checking
• Experience booking guests on deadline
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
• Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
• Be able to shift from task to task quickly if needed
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating, at all times, respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
• Ability to use recording equipment to gather field sound
• A natural interest in news
• An economics background or interest in learning economics
• A practiced instinct for social media
• Ambition and interest in improving our web and social media presence
• Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a news gathering technique
TIPS FOR APPLYING
• The best cover letters will tell us what we cannot see in the resume, about the way you want to improve Planet Money, or about the stories you want us to be telling that we are not telling.
• It’s OK to be casual and conversational in your cover letter, that’s how we are on the show, that’s how we are with each other.
• Overall, your application should answer the question: how will hiring you change The Indicator podcast and team for the better.
• It’s OK to tell us what we can do better on the show. Let us know how you hear it as a listener.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.