Technical Production Manager
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR Visuals is focused on creating and distributing content that reflects and serves America. We work with teams across NPR, our member stations, and content partners to tell stories and engage audiences on NPR.org, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok and other visual platforms.
As a member of the Visuals team, the Video Assistant Producer will be primarily focused on creating short form, best in class visual content that can deliver a satisfying experience in a minute or less. The content will need to be visually arresting and informative; giving you something that you didn't know in a way that reflects the best characteristics of NPR. We will pilot content using Agile scrum methodology, with an emphasis on more diverse visual stories featuring more diverse storytellers.
• Develop, conceive and execute original visual content from pitch through publication with a sophisticated understanding of how to tailor storytelling for young and diverse audiences.
• Produce, shoot and edit video and photography for visual platforms.
• Clearly communicate vision, project goals, narrative scope and timeline in collaboration with an Editor.
• Collaborate with Visual producers to develop story ideas for videos, photo essays, and visual story-telling for platforms like Instagram and TikTok, including adapting longer form video for a wide array of visual platforms.
• Advanced knowledge of social and streaming platforms, accompanying formats and best practices.
• Research story ideas and fact check supporting materials maintaining NPR editorial and ethical guidelines.
• Perform post-production techniques: text graphics, sound design, and color correction.
• Uphold the highest standards for the visual tone of our storytelling.
• Survey NPR and the competitive landscape to make sure our video storytelling is optimized and smart.
• Occasionally assigns, develops and edits original video stories from other NPR staff and from contract talent.
• Work Location- NPR-Washington DC,NPR-New York City, or NPR-Culver City however the temporary ability to work remotely is available.
• Willingness to work flexible hours. Occasional travel required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university with a specialization in film, video, media production, photography or journalism preferred.
• At least 3-5 years of video production and photographic storytelling experience, preferably with a major network or newsroom, studio or creative agency.
• Mastery of Adobe Creative Cloud programs related to video and photo design. (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere)
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Demonstrated commitment to increasing audience diversity.
• Be well versed in copyright and ethical journalism practices
• Excellent communication and writing skills.
• Have a strong interest in current events
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Comfortable being on camera.
• Must be able to lift video equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
This position is covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with SAG-AFTRA. The minimum salary for this position is $60,000.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0mp4e-54-211-101-93-42 in your application.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.