Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
Weekends are special, and NPR's Weekend Edition digs into the news of the week with a distinctive, thoughtful approach. Be a part of the team that produces NPR's flagship weekend morning news program and daily podcast, Up First. An Assistant Producer/Editor produces program material for hosts, producers/editors, reporters and other contributors to Weekend Edition.
NPR is seeking an Assistant Producer/Editor to assist in generating story and interview ideas, conducting research, arranging interviews and writing copy for hosts. Strong research, writing, and communications skills are essential, both for audio and digital/social platforms. This is a fast paced, deadline driven environment where quality journalism comes first. The ideal candidate for this position will believe deeply in the responsibility of public service journalism. This is a Wednesday-Sunday position.
• Generates news driven, timely and well-thought-out story/interview ideas and lines up qualified and compelling guests
• Researches story ideas and guests, pre-interviews and writes introductions and questions for host interviews and reporting trips
• Produces or edits interviews and stories depending on show needs
• Assembles on-air materials prior to broadcast/publication
• Works in the field with hosts and reporters as assigned (including projects requiring self-directed research, planning and solid editorial judgment)
• Maintains working knowledge of all the latest sound-gathering and filing technologies in use at NPR
• Directs live programming on rotation, as needed
• Maintains internal relationships with program staff across all NPR platforms including broadcast, online, social media, reporters/editors contributing to daily program and departments providing support services
• Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WORK LOCATION: This is an on-site required role. The employee will be required to be onsite at our Washington DC headquarters on show days (Saturdays and Sundays) and other days as needed.
• At least three years of broadcast journalism experience
• Familiarity with a range of subject areas such as world news, business, science, and arts and demonstrated ability to pitch news-driven stories in those areas
• Demonstrated ability to write strong news copy and to copy-edit, especially on deadline
• Expertise in producing audio news shows under breaking news conditions
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes, with changing priorities/conditions
• Understanding of journalistic ethics
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as assigned
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
• Cultivate and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
• Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
• Demonstrated ability to help coordinate daily news coverage quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
• Experience with digital and multimedia production
• Demonstrated understanding of, and familiarity with, social media platforms
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system
This position is covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with SAG-AFTRA. The minimum annualized salary for this position is $75,000.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxv25j-44-210-237-158-42 in your application.