NPR seeks an attorney with 7 to 10 years of transactional experience to join the Commercial Contracts & Network Relations team within the Office of the General Counsel. The attorney in this role will support NPR on matters relating to the development, acquisition, and distribution of programming, the inbound licensing of content, business affairs and strategic transactions, marketing and consumer products, the sponsorship and production of live events, media sales and purchase agreements; facilities and operations agreements, and managing and supporting NPR's contractual, business and strategic relationship with its 250+ Member stations.
The lawyer who joins our team will help NPR embrace business opportunities while balancing risk and supporting compliance with NPR's nonprofit status. We are looking for a versatile lawyer with a commitment to client service, practical business judgment and the ability to build strong, collaborative relationships both internally and externally. An ability to manage multiple projects, set and adjust priorities, work under pressure and maintain composure and a sense of humor while doing so, are musts.
The ideal candidate will have experience handling contractual and legal matters in the media and/or entertainment fields and a passion for the important work of NPR and public media.
• Review, draft, negotiate and advise on complex agreements relating to NPR-produced programming, licensed programming, and new programming initiatives, including a variety of agreements relating to the development, production, distribution and licensing of content for broadcast, satellite, podcast and digital distribution
• Provide advice and counsel with respect to rights and obligations under existing content licensing and distribution agreements, and manage the renewal, renegotiation and maintenance of such agreements
• Review, draft and negotiate various agreements in support of NPR's live events, including corporate sponsorship and brand partnership agreements, ad sales and media buy agreements, music licensing agreements, venue agreements, waivers and releases, and various vendor and production services agreements
• Review, draft and negotiate a variety of other commercial contracts, including marketing and consumer products agreements, co-production agreements, producer, writer, and talent agreements, consultant, service provider and vendor agreements, and facilities and operations agreements
• Advise legal and business colleagues on a broad range of related subjects, including trademark and copyright law, digital media law, consumer-facing disclosures, data privacy, and structuring transactions in a nonprofit context
• Review, draft, review and negotiate agreements with NPR's Member stations, and counsel NPR's Member Partnership division on various contractual, legal, business, and strategic matters.
• Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes
• Manage risk and support compliance with nonprofit tax law and regulatory requirements
• Lead and direct the work of others, including supervising and mentoring junior attorneys, paralegals, administrative staff, interns, and outside counsel
• Cultivate, support and promote diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace, and an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
• Membership in good standing in (or eligibility to waive into) the District of Columbia bar
• At least 7 years of experience practicing law as a transactional attorney at a law firm and/or as part of an in-house legal team
EDUCATION: J.D. from an accredited law school is required
WORK LOCATION: This is a hybrid permitted role. The employee will be required to be onsite at our Washington, DC office at least 10 days a year. The employee must also reside in an NPR-supported location based on the number of onsite days they choose.
• Strong contract drafting, interpretation, analysis and negotiation skills
• The ability to analyze complex legal issues, and complex and sophisticated commercial contracts, and effectively communicate that analysis to internal stakeholders
• Experience handling contractual and legal matters in one or more of the following areas: content licensing and distribution; marketing and consumer products; the sponsorship and production of live events; mergers and acquisitions; strategic transactions
• An orientation toward collaboration and client service; strong client relations skills
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels and to both legal and non-legal professionals
• Proven ability to work under pressure, managing multiple projects and setting and adjusting priorities as needed, while maintaining a high degree of attention to detail and keeping the ''big picture'' in mind
• Experience managing a high volume of complex, deadline-driven projects, and providing high-level business and legal advice and risk mitigation strategies to key internal stakeholders
• Sound judgment, a strong work ethic, keen attention to detail, and a creative, collaborative and business-oriented approach to problem-solving
• Experience working for a media and/or entertainment company
• Experience handling contractual and legal matters in ad sales and media buying; shared services; and facilities and operations
• Working knowledge of nonprofit tax law and/or experience representing tax-exempt organizations
• Trademark, copyright and music licensing experience
• Experience advising internal clients on business and legal issues at early stages of projects
The anticipated salary range for this opportunity is $133,000-$155,000.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4e0pv-3-239-117-1-42 in your application.