The Nexstar Washington, DC, Bureau is in search of a talented, self-starting producer to lead weekend coverage of the Federal government and support the Nexstar Stations Group News Feed (Aggregated Content Team, or ACT). The producer works a weekend schedule (Wednesday-Sunday) and is based in the Nexstar Washington, DC, newsroom--just a short walk from the US Capitol.
The Producer works with the Nexstar DC Bureau Chief, DC Executive Producer, Nexstar ACT Executive Producer, DC Bureau staff, and Nexstar/NewsNation producers to discover and share compelling stories among Nexstar's 100+ local TV/Digital newsrooms.
• Watches DC and other news events, then selects and edits video and sound.
• Identifies stories of national and regional interest produced by Nexstar stations.
• Aggregates the stories to a central site for easy access by local markets.
• Communicates with DC Bureau, NewsNation, Digital, and local TV producers via Email, Teams, and the Nexstar ''Daybook'' assignment platform.
• Participates in planning and communication efforts for special events coverage
• Manages live shot opportunities.
• Develops contacts and sources on Capitol Hill, in the White House, and at federal agencies
• Gathers news from lawmakers and other government officials
• Sets up and/or conducts interviews in person and via Zoom, etc
• Develops and pitches stories
• Approves reporter scripts
• Produces reporter packages, vo/sots, teases
• Performs other duties as assigned
• 5+ years professional newsroom experience; College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
• Interest in and enthusiasm for political news, breaking news, and current events.
• Exceptional editorial skills and the ability to recognize and report compelling stories.
• Must have strong collaborative spirit in a fast-paced deadline-driven news environment.
• Proficient in Adobe Premiere or other non-linear editing.
• Enthusiasm for the latest in digital video technology.
• Experience as a Local TV show producer, writer, field reporter, field producer, assignment editor, or photographer helpful.
• Excellent writing, copy-editing, and script-doctoring skills.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1bxby-3-238-24-209-42 in your application.