Be part of a top-rated newsroom that values your ideas and encourages creative, compelling storytelling, while living and working in the Texas capital. KXAN News is looking for an experienced reporter who is passionate about in-depth reporting on government and politics. From debate about the US-Mexico border and immigration, to Texans in the national spotlight-possibly including 2024 presidential contenders-KXAN is dedicated to fully covering one of the most exciting eras in Texas politics. KXAN News tackles this type of coverage unlike any other newsroom in the Austin market, with a team of journalists reporting daily on state government/politics news, as well as producing a weekly politics show which airs statewide.
Qualified candidates must submit a resume and reel showing expertise and experience in government/politics reporting, plus compelling storytelling using dynamic live shots and stand-ups, creative graphics, as well as effective use of digital and social media platforms. Must have a track record of developing sources to generate story ideas and break stories. Must demonstrate high-level understanding of political balance and sensitivity.
• Daily reporting on-air and online, taking an in-depth, investigative approach
• Generate story ideas with strong viewer value that fit station brand
• Creative use of live shots, standups, graphics and other visuals, and attention to detail in production quality
• Ensure balance, fairness, integrity and accuracy of reporting through thorough research and interviewing
• Strong editorial judgment, knowledge of journalism ethics and libel laws
• Collaborate and communicate effectively with managers, producers, photojournalists and other staff
• Consistently engage with audience on social media
• Special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in journalism and/or political science, or a related field
• Minimum three years' experience as news reporter
• Excellent writing, grammar, communication and presentation skills
• Proficiency with broadcast equipment, computers, smart phones and other technology
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r71kok-3-236-122-9-42 in your application.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.