With 199 television stations (including partner stations) in 116 markets, Nexstar Media Group, Inc. is the largest TV station operator in the country. But we are more than that. We're also a technology company. Along with a broad range of broadcast opportunities, Nexstar staffs a growing and diversified digital media operation encompassing content management and mobile platforms, content marketing, targeted advertising products and strategic digital design and advertising operations. From newsroom to sales to operations to digital technology, joining Nexstar Nation offers unlimited opportunities for your career endeavors. Learn more at www.nexstar.tv
KLAS 8 NEWS NOW in Las Vegas, NV is actively recruiting for a Digital Reporter. The Digital Reporter should be a skilled writer who can craft headlines and content that provide value to the audience and driver user engagement. The reporter will use data to make decisions about audience interest trends. The reporter will be able to reach out to contacts, source the web and find information on social media to build stories that will be high performing across multiple websites. While the reporter will work from a single space, the ability to take photos and create video is a plus. A strong knowledge of social media platforms is expected.
• Report news quickly and accurately
• Be able to craft original content that stands out from competition
• Collaborate with local and regional staff to find angles that resonate in the community
• Find ways to share reporting responsibilities across markets and topics as needed
• Understand types of stories that drive traffic on the web
• Work with management to deliver a content mix that reflects the needs of our audience
• Develop expertise and sources in key audience interest areas
• Shoot photos and video as needed to tell stories in multiple ways
• Utilize social media for reporting and story promotion
• 2 years of experience creating content for the web
• Knowledge of AP style
• Enjoys working in teams and is a strong communicator
• Ability to quickly learn new things and adapt to change
• Thrives under pressure and able to meet deadlines
• Self-motivated and competitive
• Comfortable setting up and executing interviews with local sources
• Ability to be fast and first at breaking news on the web
• Able to deliver multiple stories for the web each day on a wide range of topics
• Familiar with contact information for various agencies to obtain information as quickly as possible.
• Understand social media's importance in reporting stories and delivering traffic
• Some schedule flexibility (nights, weekends)
• Regularly meets measurements of success
• Proficiency in MS Office a must; HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience a plus
• Bachelor's Degree in Broadcast Journalism or equivalent education and experience
This reporter will spend time at the start of the shift reviewing story ideas and looking over their own sources for ideas. After coordinating with digital leadership for a list of expected daily stories, the reporter will begin writing and communicating updates. Social media updates, videos and monitoring of breaking news should be incorporated seamlessly into the shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Digital Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Digital Reporter must be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
EEO Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkw20p-3-237-16-210-42 in your application.