East Providence, RI
• The News Operations Manager provides timely technical operations support for news production across all media platforms
• Manages fleet vehicles, including ENG and SNG trucks and other stations vehicles. Establishes procedures to ensure all equipment is operational, maintained and secure.
• Works with Chief Photographers in managing news gathering equipment, staffing and training for news photographers, MMJ's and editors
• Trains employees in the use of news gathering equipment, live technology, and other newsroom equipment such as edit suites, video storage system, video sharing site
• Acts as a liaison between the engineering and news departments
• Assist and advise News Director and Chief Engineer in planning for future equipment installation, requirements and budgetary recommendations
• Performs various production duties such as live Satellite or Microwave shots when needed
• Performs any duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Technical degree in Digital Electronics, Broadcasting, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills
• Strong PC/MS Office experience.
• Proficiency with broadcast equipment and production environments, including cameras, TVU, Live trucks and editing systems.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Works closely with News Managers on logistics and news event coverage planning
• Helps maintain broadcast rules and regulations
• Monitors broadcasts to ensure that programs conform to station quality standards, policies and regulations, and recommends improvements as needed
Strong IT skills. Technical knowledge of broadcast system hardware and software and applications.
Knowledge of FCC regulations.
Detail-oriented and highly accurate in record keeping and work habits.
Capable of learning many different software applications.
Knowledge of: Premiere, Bit Central, TVU or other backpack transmitters, News Cameras, ENG Vans / Satellite trucks
Degree in electronics engineering or computer sciences. At least five years of experience in TV broadcast engineering.
Training/Equipment: Maintaining or troubleshooting cameras, computers in live trucks, video and/or audio switching equipment, processing and monitoring equipment, microwave transmitters and receivers, satellite transmitters and receivers, and TVU backpacks laptops, etc.
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements: Position often requires working in confined spaces, frequent climbing of ladders, and frequent lifting of up to 50 pounds. Position also may require working overnights and weekends. Highly automated, highly computer intensive environment.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.