Nexstar Inc. seeks an experienced, driven broadcast professional to serve as News Director for the New York City Operation, which provides services to WPIX-TV and PIX11.com through an operational agreement with Mission Broadcasting, in the #1-ranked market in the country.
This is a unique opportunity to lead a team of award-winning journalists in the New York City television market for a station producing more than 50 hours of local newscasts each week. The ideal candidate will have the vision to lead a team of journalists with a focus on enterprise reporting, issue-based political coverage, and impactful news franchises on local topics of interest. The News Director will place priority on accurate and dependable weather forecasting. Must demonstrate a commitment to local sports. WPIX is the broadcast home for both the New York Yankees and the New York Mets, with 49 games scheduled for 2021. We are looking for someone who has passion for the industry, the desire to create new products, and the mindset to grow winning teams.
• Manages all aspects of the News Department (other than Production)
• Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, and promotion of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website and streaming platforms. This will include local partnerships, Yankee pregame shows and other events.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals, growing audiences across all platforms.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills
• Minimum five years' major market experience in news programming production, with at least two years' experience in a leadership role.
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
Proficiency with computers, software, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.