Los Angeles, CA
Nexstar Inc. seeks an experienced, driven broadcast professional to serve as News Director for KTLA, Los Angeles. KTLA is a historic news powerhouse, with over 86 hours of live and local news each week. You will lead and supervise all aspects of news, weather and sports and local OTT content and be a key part of the leadership team of the #1 station in the #2 market in the country. Los Angeles is the quintessential media town – where television is part of the entertainment culture. You will find unmatched access to Sports, Music, Entertainment, Art. Whether you enjoy hiking, skiing, or surfing, Los Angeles has it all. And yes, the sun shines daily. We are looking for someone who has passion for the industry, the desire to create new product, and the mindset to grow winning teams.
• Manages all aspects of the News Department (other than Production)
• Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website and streaming platforms. This will include local partnerships, Rose Parade coverage and Red Carpet events.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals, growing audiences across all platforms.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum five - seven years' progressive major market experience in news programming production, with at least two years' experience in a leadership role. (preferably Top 20)
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
Proficiency with computers, software (e.g., Microsoft Suites, Workday, Outlook Calendar, Teams, Google Docs, One Drive, etc.), telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
KTLA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.