Associate News Producer
San Diego, CA
ROLE: Individual will coordinate daily news coverage on broadcast and digital platforms, maintain assignment desk functions and perform duties as required as part of FOX 5's news management team.
DESCRIPTION: The assignment desk is the center of it all; breaking stories, assigning crews and coordinating with broadcast and digital producers. FOX 5 is not your boring TV station. We are an aggressive and fast-paced newsroom determined to tell interesting stories and breaking news. If you've never heard of an assignment editor, don't apply. If multi-tasking isn't your strength, then this job is not for you. If you're up for the challenge of managing a team, growing staff, and helping shape the station's editorial landscape, then apply online.
• Manages assignment desk staff to find relevant, compelling news content for top-rated daytime and afternoon newscasts
• Leads editorial meetings; decides daily broadcast and digital content, assign crews & manages field crews' workflow and live logistics throughout day
• Works with reporters, photographers, producers to determine story selection, elements and backup ideas
• Keeps team informed of developments throughout day
• Listens to scanners, answers phones and emails, researches and vets out pitches to determine what makes a great story
• Coordinates live shots and content sharing with affiliates, CNN, FOX and other partners
• Represents and enforces station policy in resolution of situations that may arise
• Maintains various station accounts used by the desk for gathering and confirmation information
• Be involved in long term planning of stories and news events
• Posts stories to station digital platforms and social media sites
• Executes performance reviews, hire and grow staff
• Other duties as they arise
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's Degree in Journalism preferred; minimum 3-years experience in a top 50 market newsroom
• Knowledge of San Diego area a plus
• Extensive knowledge of editorial standards, ethics and media law
• Must have superior organizational skills; be an effective communicator, both oral and written
• Must be nimble with technology, have thorough knowledge of newsroom & field workflow
• Must demonstrate excellent leadership and motivational skills
• Must be able to manage a large staff under extreme pressure in a fast-paced environment
• Must be able to direct the efforts of on-air reporters
• Must be able to operate as a team member as well as a team leader
• Must be able to take suggestions, participate in decision-making, and be flexible in recognizing various points of view
• Must be capable of interacting productively with other employees of the station.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.