Multimedia Journalist Reporter
The Rockford Region is just a stone's throw from Chicago, settled along the banks of the Rock River and the serene rolling green hills of Northern Illinois. We have all the amenities of a Big City, but with a Small-Town easy feel.
Looking for stuff to do? Well we got tons. Check it out right here: things to do.
From our Downtown City Market to Food Truck Tuesday, it's pretty tough to beat Rockford for unique eating venues and top-notch local restaurants.
We're a welcoming community, a great place to live life with plenty of room to grow. And without all the hassles of big city congestion. Welcome to the real heart of America, the Rockford Region.
Our brand is Your Home Team. And we live it every day with the most tenured news team, Eyewitness News!
We offer more news and locally produced programming than any other station in the market as well as unmatched digital delivery on https://www.mystateline.com/.
• WTVO/WQRF is searching for a Multi-Media Journalist. The successful candidate will have the ability to work as a solo journalist to deliver news to our audience both on air and online; strong shooting and editing are a must.
A successful candidate will be asked to work solo on general assignment stories and will be a major part of the station's online success by posting timely updates, stories, and other content on Mystateline.com and our social media platforms.
We are looking for someone who actively engages in all of the tenets of journalism. The successful candidate must demonstrate the desire to put journalistic skills such as shooting, editing, newsgathering, writing, interviewing, reporting and ethical decision-making into practice on a daily basis.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Multimedia Journalist Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Multimedia Journalist Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 35 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Interested candidates should post their resume & cover letter when applying at our corporate website: Mystateline.com
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.