The Meteorologist forecast weather conditions and produces and anchors weather reports for tv and digital platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
• Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
• Dynamic and personable with a genuine on-air delivery
• Ensures that all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Writes web stories and records digital video detailing the local forecast daily
• Is an active contributor to social media sites.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• AMS and/or NWA Seal Preferred
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Broadcast experience in weather reporting or anchoring
• Superior on-air presence.
• Knowledge of WSI (Weather Company)
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift, and to be a part of a strong and cohesive team.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The Digital Meteorologist / Multimedia Journalist requires the operation of a camera, camera equipment, computer and editing machine, and transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. High stress environment with deadline pressures. Daily travel will be required on a regular basis. Work may be performed in extreme outdoor temperatures.