Nexstar Media Group, Inc. is America's largest local television and media company with 200 broadcast stations (including partner stations) in 116 markets addressing more than 68% of US television households and a growing digital media operation. Nexstar's platform delivers exceptional local content and network programming to inform and entertain viewers, while providing premium, scalable local advertising opportunities for advertisers and brands across all screens and devices. Learn more at www.nexstar.tv
KLAS TV, the CBS affiliate in Las Vegas is hiring an experienced Investigative Reporter to join their investigative unit. ''The Channel 8 I-team,'' is a nationally recognized, award-winning team of journalists with a proven track record for producing in-depth, high-quality, innovative projects on-air and digital only. Through tip-driven and enterprise investigations, KLAS has helped change laws, recovered millions of dollars for viewers, revealed major safety issues and exposed corruption among elected leaders.
The successful candidate will be expected to find an investigative angle on daily coverage. These stories go beyond the basics of general assignment reporting and storytelling to uncover problems, hold those responsible accountable and press for solutions. In addition to regular daily reports, this reporter will also work on larger, long-term investigations and help cover breaking news as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop ideas for realistic, executable, timely and important investigations on a daily basis.
• Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation.
• Daily contributions to digital first/digital only content along with consistent daily social media engagement.
• Produce accurate, complete and compelling news copy on deadline.
• Must be collaborative and willing to work with the entire team.
• Works with Producers, Photographers, and Editors to produce investigative stories both for broadcast and digital platforms
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Posts and promotes stories on the internet, social media, and other platforms
• Uses public records, the internet, and computer databases to research and analyze facts, statistics, and trends
• Promotes teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift, holidays and weekends
Requirements & Skills:
• Candidates must have a resume and online link showing investigative work.
• Candidates should know the basics of data analysis, public information requests and backgrounding. They must have a track record of enterprising story ideas and developing key sources.
• Possesses exceptional research skills. Ability to type, using a newsroom computer system
• Previous work must demonstrate compelling storytelling using dynamic live shots and stand-ups, creative graphics and daily use of digital and social media platforms.
• Candidates must have a minimum of five years reporting experience, including at least two years of investigative reporting.
• Fluency in English
• Strong broadcast writing skills and command of language skills.
• A bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred.
• Professional appearance and behavior. This is not an entry-level position.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Investigative Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Investigative Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required.
EEO Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities / Women / Veterans / Disabled
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1z9ee-35-172-223-251-42 in your application.