Digital Content Producer
The role of the Executive Producer of Digital Content is to own the editorial presentation of WGNO News Digital properties and to help drive and implement a digital first strategy in the newsroom. This is a newsroom management position and as such, the EP of Digital Content is responsible for managing digital content producers, broadcast producers, reporters and photographers; newsroom workflow, task delegation and assignment abilities are paramount. This position should be recognized by the level of urgency brought to bear on the everyday digital execution of the brand. This person will be held accountable for our Digital footprint and as such will be asked to hold others accountable to their roles.
• Be a leader in the newsroom
• Manage content display across desktop and mobile
• Manage reporters and staff in the shift to Digital First
• Be a fixture in the morning and afternoon editorial meetings
• Contribute content to relevant events and/or stories as needed
• Assist with special project/sweeps planning & execution
• Think strategically about developing the digital audiences and online capacities of newsroom
• Help develop new opportunities to expand news brand and services while utilizing new and emerging technologies
• Additional responsibilities as assigned by management
• Assist in managing sales content elements that have strong revenue potential and web user interest.
• Live streaming knowledge
• Work irregular/odd hours and available to work weekends and holidays
• Passion for local news
• Innovative, user-focused, and full of creativity and initiative
• Strong editorial judgment
• Intimate familiarity with AP Style
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experienced with content management systems
• Able to edit video and images
• Working knowledge of web standards and protocols
• Ability to understand and use state-of-the-art broadcast and digital technology.
• Bachelor's degree in Communication/Journalism or related degree preferred.
• Work in tandem with the News Director, other news managers, the Sales Department and Creative Services.
• Execute breaking news – including SMS, social media, email alerts
• Develop and maintain new sections of the web site as news coverage dictates
• Plan for the long-term growth of the sites, sets priorities and plans coverage for major events
• Manage social media – station staff posts and moderation of user comments
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements: High stress environment with deadline pressures and the demands of breaking news, which can happen at any time. The Digital Executive Producer must be able to sit, conduct phone conversations, use email, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.