The News Director leads and supervises all aspects of news, weather, sports, locally produced programming, production and all digital platforms. We offer factual news with market-wide digital delivery on https://www.wjbf.com.
Excited to grow your career?
We value our talented employees, and whenever possible strive to help one of our associates grow professionally before recruiting new talent to our open positions. If you think the open position you see is right for you, we encourage you to apply!
Our people make all the difference in our success.
It's fun to work in a successful company where people believe in what they do!
From the ever-growing area rated as one of the best places to live and raise a family, to the developing Cyber Center of the Southeastern United States, and year round outdoor lifestyle that host the world's greatest golf tournament and the flavorful food, it's pretty tough to beat the unique, local feel!
Our brand is LOCAL and we live it every day with local news coverage by our enthusiastic news team.
• Manages all aspects of the News, Digital and Production Departments
• Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News, Digital and Production Departments
• Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage and outreach strategy for the station on all platforms and leads the development and creation of locally produced programs.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news and production staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer ratings and digital outreach goals.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum five years' experience in news programming production, with at least two years' experience in a leadership role. (More or less depending on market size.)
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, cameras, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
All employees must first contact their current manager before applying for an internal position.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwb0yn-44-192-114-32-42 in your application.